RE: [S-R] Slovak Cadastre

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
      Cadastre is Land Records
      Vladimir

      _____

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of christine mackara
      Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 3:44 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Slovak Cadastre

      I was just wondering, what is a "Cadastre" ?
      Thank you, Christine (Mackara)
      Recent Activity
      a.. 3New Members
      Visit Your Group
      Health & Fitness
      on Yahoo! Groups

      Useful info for the

      health conscious.

      Real Food Group
      on Yahoo! Groups

      What does real food

      mean to you?

      Yahoo! Groups HD
      The official Samsung

      Y! Group for HDTVs

      and devices.
      .

    • Mtnesters2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
        Vladimir:

        How do you go about finding Land Records?

        Monica

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
          Dear Monica,
          If I know the name and the place I go to the Cadastre Office, we look into
          Index and write all persons with with this name down, together with all the
          numbers of their Land Record files and then take out all those files and try
          to figure out, who is my family and who is not. There are no dates of birth
          or house numbers, just names and their property. If you know for example the
          exact location of at least one property, you can identify the right person.
          Or, you can identify the right person by comparing the names of those, who
          inherited. In Land records, you can have three or four generations of owners
          and this can be the key to identification.
          Not an easy job.
          Regards,
          Vladimir

          _____

          How do you go about finding Land Records?

          Monica

        • christine mackara
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2007
            Thank you, Vladimir, for the translation of "cadastre". Do you think, there is a chance, that in those records could be, where the family came from ? I know Joannes Makara owned property in Presov and they were thinking of selling it in 1907.
            Christine (Mackara)

          • konekta@nm.psg.sk
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2007
              Dear Christine,
              Ony the name is there, nothing else of vital data.
              Best,
              Vladimir

              _____

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                Ok Vlad, No trouble accepting that there is no vital information other
                than the family name in the cadastre records. However, what about
                non-vital information?

                I am a semi-retired engineer who has done my share of surveying and
                public utilities, roads and airports. Taking my one village of Sulin
                as an example, when I go (or hire someone) to the cadastre office, can
                I expect to find a plat or drawing of where the property boundaries
                were and are today? Utilities pretty well didn't exist 100 years
                back, but did they mark roads and local trails? Can I find the old
                county line (Spis and Saris) that separated Maly & Velky Sulin back
                then? Will they (the drawings, sketches or survey plats) locate or
                note the mill, the forester's headquarters, the city hall, school and
                other businesses (bar or general store)? May the drawings be updated
                periodically so I can narrow down when the volunteer fire building was
                erected in Maly Sulin?

                I realize these are specific questions as examples, but I intend them
                to elicit general answers so others may know what to find - if they
                are also interested in the development of the ancestral village. Of
                course, many things that apply in one location do not apply in
                another. But some of us are curious about the history adn the
                non-vital information.

                Thanks in advance. You provide a treasure trove of information for
                those of us outside Slovakia, and this time I want to take advantage
                of your knowledge!

                Ron

              • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                  Dear Ron,
                  I surely would not want to speculate, what will be found there, but the
                  plots are there. So, it's a land record, not building record.
                  Ina village or town, the land is divided into agricultural land ( fields,
                  lawns, gardens etc) and construction land ( where some building is on, but
                  the building itself is not drawn, however the boundaries of construction
                  land often are the same as the boundaries of the building, though)
                  Maybe there are also other kinds of maps which would show buildings etc too,
                  but they would most probably be in some archive.
                  I say maybe, because the situation varies from area to area.
                  This kind of work requires several visits to several offices and a couple of
                  days if not more.
                  Vladimir

                  _____