Oscar nominated film shot in Slovakia

  • matt_procter
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2007
      This week on the HDnet movie channel the movie Zelary is playing.

      It's a 'Cold Mountain/The Piano' type movie with the plot set in WWII
      Czechoslovakia but it's actually shot in the Mala Fatra mountains in
      Northwest Slovak Republic.

      That happens to be near where my ancestral village is (Stiavnik) and
      where many of your home villages may be as well. If you have been to
      that region before you will revel in seeing scene after scene shot in
      the gorgeous lush green capped rolling mountains of the Mala Fatra.

      If you have not been to the region, this movie gives you an
      incredible window into the natural beauty of this area of our
      Motherland. While the High Tatras grace most of the Slovak
      postcards, this region has its own striking beauty that anyone who
      loves our homeland will enjoy seeing.

      You can view a trailer of the movie at:
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0288330/trailers-screenplay-E20514-10-2

      The DVD is also available on sites such as www.netflix.com.

      Don't mean to sound like a shill for this flick, but I had never even
      heard of it until I accidently caught it on TV this week and thought
      there might be others here like me who would be interested.

      Matt
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2007
        Hi Matt -

        It is a beautiful and very touching movie - loved
        the scenery - I was told it was shot around Zazriva in
        gorgeous Orava. Love the depictions of village life,
        the log homes, the customs and the wedding is really
        something!

        Don't miss this movie!

        helene

        --- matt_procter <matt_procter@...> wrote:

        > This week on the HDnet movie channel the movie
        > Zelary is playing.
        >
        > It's a 'Cold Mountain/The Piano' type movie with the
        > plot set in WWII
        > Czechoslovakia but it's actually shot in the Mala
        > Fatra mountains in
        > Northwest Slovak Republic.
        >
        > That happens to be near where my ancestral village
        > is (Stiavnik) and
        > where many of your home villages may be as well. If
        > you have been to
        > that region before you will revel in seeing scene
        > after scene shot in
        > the gorgeous lush green capped rolling mountains of
        > the Mala Fatra.
        >
        > If you have not been to the region, this movie gives
        > you an
        > incredible window into the natural beauty of this
        > area of our
        > Motherland. While the High Tatras grace most of the
        > Slovak
        > postcards, this region has its own striking beauty
        > that anyone who
        > loves our homeland will enjoy seeing.
        >
        > You can view a trailer of the movie at:

        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0288330/trailers-screenplay-E20514-10-2

        > The DVD is also available on sites such as
        > www.netflix.com.
        >
        > Don't mean to sound like a shill for this flick, but
        > I had never even
        > heard of it until I accidently caught it on TV this
        > week and thought
        > there might be others here like me who would be
        > interested.
        >
        > Matt

        that gives answers, not web links.