Slovaks and Czechs in Canada

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
      I expanded our page on early 20th century immigration to Canada at

      http://www.iarelative.com/ca_bus.htm

      I also added a link to the 1911 Census of Canada and a modern phone dirctory
      of Canada.

      Many immigrants from both the Czech Republic and Slovakia ended up in
      Canada.

      To see if potential relatives ended up in Canada at the turn of the century
      you can search the 1911 Canada Census on line at the URL above.

      The 1911 Canadian Census has a wealth of information at your fingertips.

      There is currently a 14 day free trial of the 1911 Canadian Census extracts
      and listings search.

      If you find potential relatives in your initial surname search, you have two
      weeks to gather as much detailed information as you can.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
      www.iarelative.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
        Now that's a great resource!

        Bill

[...]

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jan Ammann
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
          Haven't gotten messages for a few days so am testing my inbox...............

          Jan

        • Tom Potsko
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
            Got your test, Tom

          • ttplante@telusplanet.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
              For those of you that had Czech relatives immiegrate to Canada....Many Czechs
              settled in Ontario in a town called Batawa. It was there that the Bata shoe
              company was established by a Czech who had already established a shoe factory
              in the homeland. They do have a limited amount of information of past
              employees and the librarian on the town website is very helpful. Many of the
              homes were factory owned so if you can connect your ancestor to the factory you
              may be able to get info from the town library.

              Quoting Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...>:

              > Now that's a great resource!
              >

              > Bill

            • Jan Ammann
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                Thanks Tom and Julie..........I guess some early Halloween gremlins were nesting in my inbox......glad to know I am still connected to the Slovak world...........Jan

                Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote: Got your test, Tom

                On 9/18/07, Jan Ammann <janammann@...> wrote:

                > Haven't gotten messages for a few days so am testing my
                > inbox...............
                >
                > Jan

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Kevin Thur
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                  My Great-Grandfather, Daniel Cirbes immigrated to Canada in 1882 and settled
                  in Eganville, which is a town in the Ottawa valley of North Eastern Ontario
                  (approx. 2 hours west of Ottawa). He was documented as being Austrian,
                  however, there was later talk that he may have been Hungarian. I do not
                  know exactly where he was born, but the only Cirbes or Czirbesz references
                  that I have been able to find is in the Gomor region.

                  This area of Ontario has a high German and Polish community. What I have
                  not been able to determine is why a single young Hungarian would end up in
                  such a remote part of Canada. After approx, two years of research, I have
                  hit a brick wall. Any ideas?

                  Also, I have been looking for a Daniel and Maria Cirbes, with many
                  variations on the last name. Can anyone suggest different variations in the
                  first names or other clues? I am at the "needle-in-the-haystack" stage of
                  searching church records from random towns in the area.

                  Much appreciated,

                  Kevin

                  _____

                  Quoting Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@ <mailto:bill.tarkulich%40iabsi.com>

                • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                    Kevin,

                    Hungarian refers to both a citizenship (Kingdom of Hungary, part of
                    the Austro-Hungarian Empire) and an ethnicity (Magyar). Most citizens
                    of the pre-1918 Kingdom of Hungary were not Magyars, but German,
                    Slovak, Croats, Rumanians, Rusins, etc, etc, etc....

                    Your ancestor could have gravitated towards an area with many Germans
                    from Germany and Austria simply because he was an ethnic German and so
                    could have fit in easier....but it could also be a pure coincidence,
                    too. Or he could have been a Slovak who knew some German but no
                    English, and so found the area more congenial. Did you find what
                    church he worshipped in (many had a distinct ethnic character, then),
                    clubs/societies he was a member of...?

                    Thomas

                    > My Great-Grandfather, Daniel Cirbes immigrated to Canada in 1882
                    > and settled
                    > in Eganville, which is a town in the Ottawa valley of North
                    > Eastern Ontario
                    > (approx. 2 hours west of Ottawa). He was documented as being
                    > Austrian,however, there was later talk that he may have been
                    > Hungarian. I do not
                    > know exactly where he was born, but the only Cirbes or Czirbesz
                    > referencesthat I have been able to find is in the Gomor region.
                    >

                    > This area of Ontario has a high German and Polish community. What
                    > I have
                    > not been able to determine is why a single young Hungarian would
                    > end up in
                    > such a remote part of Canada. After approx, two years of
                    > research, I have
                    > hit a brick wall. Any ideas?
                    >

                    > Also, I have been looking for a Daniel and Maria Cirbes, with many
                    > variations on the last name. Can anyone suggest different
                    > variations in the
                    > first names or other clues? I am at the "needle-in-the-haystack"
                    > stage of
                    > searching church records from random towns in the area.
                    >

                    > Much appreciated,
                    >

                    > Kevin

                  • Julia Anderson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                      Daniel,
                      Not sure if this will help, but add a z to Cirbes to make it Cirbesz and you've got a Hungarian
                      surname.
                      Julia

                    • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                        In 19th century German, Z was sometimes spelled C (in Hungarian Cz).
                        Zirbes exists as a German surname.

                        Also, the surname might very well not be helpful for finding your
                        ancestor's ethnicity--over 1000 years, Germans, Magyars and Slovaks,
                        plus Rusins, intermarried in today's Slovakia. Slovaks with German
                        surnames, Germans with Slovak surnames, Hungarians with Slovak or
                        German surnames, are not at all uncommon.

                        Thomas

                        > Not sure if this will help, but add a z to Cirbes to make it
                        > Cirbesz and you've got a Hungarian
                        > surname.
                        > Julia

                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                          Hi Kevin -

                          how about these - found in my Slovak Pride database
                          e mail me direct if you want contact info

                          Cirbus Mala Poloma GEMER
                          Czirbesz from a man in Venezuela i corresponded with

                          helene

                        • June McKee