Re: [S-R] munkacs, munkachevo Helene and Daniel

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2007
      Hi Helene and Daniel,

      I have found your conversation really interesting beings I believe my grandmother Meri Boldizar came from Munkacs. Do you know if it is easier now to research that area? I am just awaiting results from FOIA which has now been a year now, but they tell me probably will be sometime in Dec before I get the information. I will then be able to start my research beyond the information which I have from various sources in NY. I would love to hear anything you can tell me about that area.

      many thanks,
      June

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2007
        Hi June,
        What is FOIA?
        I don't know that it's easy to research the area, but because Munkacs was
        the larger city in the area, it's probably much easier than the small villages
        in the area.
        First place to start research is family information.

        Daniel

        --- __jump4toys@aol._ju_ (mailto:_jump4toys@...) _
        (mailto:_jump4toys@..._ (mailto:jump4toys@...) ) wrote:

        > Hello Sonja,
        >
        > My father was born in a small village near Munkacs
        > called Szolyva
        > (Svalyava). If you ask your father about it, he
        > will know the name. My father was
        > born in 1920 and it was Czechoslovakia, then
        > Hungary, now Ukraine. Szolyva is
        > in the Carpathian Mountain area and is close to
        > Munkacs. We had relatives in
        > Munkacs. Our family name is Wachtenheim.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Daniel WAchtenheim

      • June McKee
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2007
          Daniel,
          The FOIA is the freedom of Information privacy act request which I sent in to the US Department of Justice in NY to get my grandparents citizenship papers and whatever else they may have on them. when the imformation comes back it is always from Homeland Security.

          June

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2007
            Hi June,
            How does one write to the US deptarment of Justice in NY? What do they
            provide you besides the citizenship papers?
            You mean the papers, of course, that they filled out to become citizens?
            Are your grandparents still alive?
            DAniel

            --- __jump4toys@--- __jump4toys@<WBR>__jump4toys@aol._ju_
            (mailto:_jump4toys@...) ) _
            (mailto:__jump4toys@aol._ju_ (mailto:_jump4toys@...) _
            (mailto:_jump4toys@..._ (mailto:jump4toys@...) ) ) wrote:

            > Hello Sonja,
            >
            > My father was born in a small village near Munkacs
            > called Szolyva
            > (Svalyava). If you ask your father about it, he
            > will know the name. My father was
            > born in 1920 and it was Czechoslovakia, then
            > Hungary, now Ukraine. Szolyva is
            > in the Carpathian Mountain area and is close to
            > Munkacs. We had relatives in
            > Munkacs. Our family name is Wachtenheim.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Daniel WAchtenheim

          • June McKee
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 15, 2007
              Hi Daniel,

              No my grandparents are not alive. my grandmother died in 1935 at age 45 and my grandfather died in 1958. They both came to Ellis Island just a few years apart 1902 and 1905. As far as I know they wouldnt release any information on a living person without their concent.
              The only information that I have ever requested is the declaration of intention papers. I also asked for them to send me anything else that they may have on them. And yes they are copies of the papers that my grandparents filled out. These papers carry quite abit of information from what I have been told. You need to fill out the form G-639, freedom of information/privacy act request . This is the website to go to for the forms and information www.uscis.gov.
              Did your family also come in at EI?

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 16, 2007
                Hi June,
                No, my father came after WW2, and I guess there was no Ellis Island then. I
                did find my fathers brother on Ellis Island when he came to the US in 1921.
                I do know a lot about my fathers hometown because he told us stories from
                Svalyava. I did a lot of research for a while, but I think I reached a point
                where European records are hard to find, especially in the smaller villages.
                Plus the area is now the Ukraine, and that seems to be a harder place to get
                information.
                DAniel

                Hi Daniel,

                No my grandparents are not alive. my grandmother died in 1935 at age 45 and
                my grandfather died in 1958. They both came to Ellis Island just a few years
                apart 1902 and 1905. As far as I know they wouldnt release any information on
                a living person without their concent.
                The only information that I have ever requested is the declaration of
                intention papers. I also asked for them to send me anything else that they may have
                on them. And yes they are copies of the papers that my grandparents filled
                out. These papers carry quite abit of information from what I have been told.
                You need to fill out the form G-639, freedom of information/The only

                --- __jump4toys@--- __jump4toys@<WBR<WBR>__jump4toys__jump4toy
                (mailto:__jump4toys@aol._ju_ (mailto:_jump4toys@...) ) ) _
                (mailto:__jump4toys(mailto:__jump4toy__jump4toys@aol._ju_