RE: [S-R] Where to research Immigration and naturalization documents?

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 14, 2007
      These passenger lists were filled out on board by the ship's
      purser, and checked by customs or immigration authorities upon
      arrival. Thus the names on these lists are the European, pre-
      Americanized versions of names. The names were written down the
      way that they sounded. Do NOT expect to find your ancestor's
      name spelled as it is today -- realize that your immigrant
      ancestor wouldn't be able to recognize the written name even if
      it were shown to him/her, if they read only Russian and/or
      Yiddish/Hebrew.

      http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/roots-l/genealog/genealog.jewishg1

      _____