Re: [S-R] Where to research Immigration and naturalization documents?

  • jmellicant
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 2007
      Hmmmmm, I must not have been clear. I didn't mean he traveled with a
      child but that he went to Chicago, got a job and sometime afterwards,
      his wife and child immigrated later. I was looking for an ADULT John
      McGrath but should also expand my research for a woman and child named
      McGrath. My mother's gr-grandfather (John) was born in Ireland. I
      found a Hugh in Chicago about the right time his father, if it
      happened that way, would be living there. As I said, Hugh is a name
      that repeats in the family.

      <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
      > Hello "jmellicant",
      > I won't ever say "never", but I have yet to see any records from my
      > where a male travels with very young dependent children, especially
      > without a woman. Traditionally, the male leads first, works long and
      > arduous hours (who would care for children? There was no consideration
      > given for that back then for childcare, plus men often lived in boarding
      > houses, which often are less than family-friendly (I once lived in
      > accumulates enough money to bring along children and wife in a couple of
      > years. The female adult was always the caregiver, unless the child
      was 16
      > (for most countries) and then allowed to travel alone (without
      > parents/guardians.)
      > Children were *always* enumerated on the manifests, even babies. In
      > cases, children were born onboard, and in this case, they were also
      added to
      > the end of the manifests. As a rule, if I find a relative on a ship's
      > manifest, I always scour the entire manifest (not just the adjacent
      > for a misplaced relative, family or village friend who may also be
      on board.
      > People stuck together (such as in a line waiting to be manifested) but
      > sometimes, rarely but sometimes, were displaced in line for any
      number of
      > reasons.
      > Regarding Chicago and records.
      > Immigration records will be limited largely to the ship manifests
      for the
      > time period you seek. These records are quite sketchy and often contain
      > very little other than the ship, name, country of origin and age.
      > information wasn't mandated until 1904.. The Family History Center
      has many
      > on fiche, Ancestry has been putting 1890s manifests online (for a
      fee). I
      > recommend joining Ancestry only when there are records relevant to you,
      > which you can get no where else (short of a trip to the National
      > branch.
      > A naturalization file is often held by the US government. Somewhere.
      > Depending on the year and geography, their repository varies.
      Submitting a