Re: [S-R] munkacs, munkachevo

  • jump4toys@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2007
      Hello Sonja,

      My father was born in a small village near Munkacs called Szolyva
      (Svalyava). If you ask your father about it, he will know the name. My father was
      born in 1920 and it was Czechoslovakia, then Hungary, now Ukraine. Szolyva is
      in the Carpathian Mountain area and is close to Munkacs. We had relatives in
      Munkacs. Our family name is Wachtenheim.

      Regards,
      Daniel WAchtenheim

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2007
        Hi Daniel -

        i know Svalyava - i have been there - a beautiful
        little spa town; i was in Mukachevo this summer -
        things are changing fast in this region - becoming
        more western and prosperous -

        So many new homes going up and churches and people
        with shiny new cars

        They even improved the road between Uzhorod and
        Mukachevo!!! Formerly a 2 lane country road but now
        pretty good.

        Crossing the border is better than the 10 hour waits
        before but still not good - 3 - 4 hours for us this
        summer - blamed it on the fact that Ukraine is no EU
        and neither were we!

        Friends tell me that by November there will be a super
        highway from vienna to bratislava and no stop for any
        customs! Should be great and expect that will be the
        case between many fo the EU countries.

        helene

        helene

        --- jump4toys@... wrote:

        > Hello Sonja,
        >
        > My father was born in a small village near Munkacs
        > called Szolyva
        > (Svalyava). If you ask your father about it, he
        > will know the name. My father was
        > born in 1920 and it was Czechoslovakia, then
        > Hungary, now Ukraine. Szolyva is
        > in the Carpathian Mountain area and is close to
        > Munkacs. We had relatives in
        > Munkacs. Our family name is Wachtenheim.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Daniel WAchtenheim

        > removed]

        Got a little couch potato?
      • jump4toys@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 15, 2007
          Hi Helene,
          My father always said there was mineral water in Svalyava and that there was
          a spa business because of that in this once small town. My father left
          after WW2 after his family was killed by the Germans in the Holocaust. I would
          like to go back and visit, it must be a very interesting area.
          DAniel