Re: [S-R] Family name

  • jwendland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2007
      Tom.

      My grandmother's maiden name was Berta Gurka (also spelled Gourka). She was
      born in Banska Bytrica in 1978 and emigrated in 1905 to Chicago to marry my
      grandfather.

      Both my grandmother and grandfather considered themselves entirely Slovak.
      Oddly, though, my grandmother's immigration record in 1905 says she is
      German. I had considered this to be a mistake of some kind.

      My grandparents made a trip back to Hungary/Slovakia in 1910/1911. Their
      returning reentry shows my grandmother as Slovak and born in Banska Bytrica. I
      have not learned anything more about her so far.

      You are the first person I've encountered who also had the name Gurka.
      Maybe there is a connection.

      Best wishes,

      Jill