German Gura and Gurka

  • treimer@nycap.rr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
      Bill and Tom,

      They might well have been Germans of remote Slovak origins--a number
      of Carpathian Germans have slovak patronymics, evidence of early
      intermarriage of Slovaks into the German villages.

      From my encyclopedia of 20th century Carpathian German Lutheran
      ministers, by Rev. Metzl, I see 3 Gura/Gurka. All three lost their
      homeland in 1945 thanks to Mr. Benes:

      Rev. Eugen Gura, b. 1872 Wagendruessel/Zips (Vondrisel, now Nalepkovo)
      from an old local family. He died 1953 in Germany.

      Rev. Erich Gurka, b. 1937 in Oberufer near Pressburg, now a part of
      Pressburg (Bratislava). He lives in Germany now.

      Rev. Johann Gurka, father of Erich, b. 1910 in Bauschendorf/Zips
      (Busovce), as Sohn of the peasant Johann Gurka and Maria, born Spitko.
      He died 1979 in Germany.

      Thomas