Re: [S-R] Family name

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007
      Hi Tom:

      Another possibility for the surname GURKA is that it relates to GURK (KRKA
      in Slovenian), a part of CARINTHIA which is now a part of SLOVENIA. This area
      and other nearby areas in Slovenia have ties to the noble SZECHY family in
      GEMER (next to SPIS), so it may be another possibility to consider.

      Best regards,

      David

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007
        Theory.
        Surname Gurka does not relate to Gurk in Slovenia. We, Slovenians do not
        have such traditions.
        Also, Krka in Slovenia never was a part of Carinthia. It was in the Krain
        province. Carinthia is in Austria proper.
        Vladimir

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007
          Just look at Ellis Island where the Gurkas came from: Galicia, other Poland
          and Slovakia.
          Vladimir

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2007
            Tom.

            My grandmother's maiden name was Berta Gurka (also spelled Gourka). She was
            born in Banska Bytrica in 1978 and emigrated in 1905 to Chicago to marry my
            grandfather.

            Both my grandmother and grandfather considered themselves entirely Slovak.
            Oddly, though, my grandmother's immigration record in 1905 says she is
            German. I had considered this to be a mistake of some kind.

            My grandparents made a trip back to Hungary/Slovakia in 1910/1911. Their
            returning reentry shows my grandmother as Slovak and born in Banska Bytrica. I
            have not learned anything more about her so far.

            You are the first person I've encountered who also had the name Gurka.
            Maybe there is a connection.

            Best wishes,

            Jill