Boehm means from Bohemia, but not necessarily Czech

  • treimer@nycap.rr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2007
      Boehm simply means from Bohemia, and is by no means restricted to
      Czechs. Germans from Bohemia were called Boehm as well when moving
      outside of Bohemia. Also, sometimes, as Hans Bahlow, Deutsches
      Namenslexikon, p. 67, notes, the name does not indicate an origin in
      Bohemia (whether of German or Czech background), but merely a tie of
      sorts that would serve as the basis for a nickname that then would
      become a family name. Such a tie could be habitually trading with goods
      from Bohemia.

      My grandmother was a born Boehm, whose family was originally from
      Austria Silesia (Jaegerndorf-Krnov), and they were not Czechs.

      Sincerely

      Thomas