Re: [S-R] Score! Finally verified place of birth for my great-grandfather.

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
      Hi and welcome, Jim. Did you find your g-g-grandfather and family in the 1920 census? I see a likely candidate, right age, right immigration year, in Chicago with wife Mary imm. 1896, age 30, and seven children. This John Mellikant is from Jugoslavia. Which was also part of Austria. You may be barking up the wrong javor. John and Mary are Slovenian. He is a foreman in an iron works place.

      I'll poke around more and see what else turns up. Can you confirm the children? Steven, Elizabeth, Mary, Julia, Helen, Katherine, John.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
        Nope, that's my gr-grandfather. My grandfather is Steven and I've
        verified the other family members and the address. This record
        actually provided a lot of info but the only other record was the WWI
        Draft Card which was not viewable on ancestry.com which is why my dad
        visited the National Archives office in Chicago. Although I currently
        live in Maryland, I was born and raised in Chicago where my extended
        family currently lives.

        As for the Yugoslavian reference, if you notice, the census taker
        marks just about EVERYONE on that page as "Yugoslavian" who speaks
        Slovenian, which are two different countries altogether. I discounted
        the references.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...> wrote:

        > Hi and welcome, Jim. Did you find your g-g-grandfather and family
        in the 1920 census? I see a likely candidate, right age, right
        immigration year, in Chicago with wife Mary imm. 1896, age 30, and
        seven children. This John Mellikant is from Jugoslavia. Which was
        also part of Austria. You may be barking up the wrong javor. John
        and Mary are Slovenian. He is a foreman in an iron works place.

        > I'll poke around more and see what else turns up. Can you confirm
        the children? Steven, Elizabeth, Mary, Julia, Helen, Katherine, John.

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
          Jim,
          Welcome to Slovak-Roots.
          Using the Fuzzy Gazetteer I found the coordinates of Iglo, Slovakia to be 48 degrees 57 minutes North by 20 degrees 34 minutes East. Using my 1:100,000 Slovak Atlas those coordinates are now within the city of Spisska Nova Ves. I then looked at the 1910 Hungarian Map of Szepes county. The Hungarian name for Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo.
          Michael Mojher

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
            Hello Jim:

            Welcome! One possibility for OLSHOW is the village of OLSOV (OL'SOV) which
            is north of SPISSKE VLACHY and west of LIPANY, several of the larger towns in
            and around the SPIS area. While it is not next to IGLO (SPISSKA NOVA VES),
            it is in the general vicinity. If you want to take a look on a map, I would
            suggest using MAPY which is accessible through Bill Tarkulich's Eastern
            Genealogical Research Strategies website at www.iabsi.com and then click the link
            for MAPS. Bill's website is a great resource, and I constantly use it my
            springboard for further research. The village of OL'SOV came up toward the
            top of the results (best result for Slovakia) when I did a search in the FUZZY
            GAZETTEER (a phonetic village finder) with the name OLSHOW. I would often
            hear of SPISSKA NOVA VES (IGLO) as a general reference, even though my
            grandparents lived in nearby SPISSKE VLACHY, because SPISSKA NOVA VEST was the
            largest village in the SPIS region.

            The surname HRISZ appear familiar to me, as I am related to a RISH family.
            It is on my paternal grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC's side of the family. She
            was born in STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA) in the SPIS region and other relatives
            lived in DOMANOVCE in the SPIS region. I am not sure if the marriage in my
            grandmother's family occurred in Slovakia or in America. The HRISZ surname is
            also intriguing to me because my paternal grandfather ANDREW BALOGA was born
            in the village of HRISOVCE (also called HRISCHOWCZE) in the SPIS region.

            Please feel free to contact me directly, and I would be happy to check to
            see if there is any relation to my RISH family.

            Overall, the best thing to concentrate on is finding the correct village of
            origin, and for this reason, I would really encourage you to visit Bill
            Tarkulich's website which provides a lot of great guidance in helping to locate
            the correct village. Otherwise, if one finds a similar name but the wrong
            village, one may be off on the proverbial wild goose chase.

            Best regards,

            David

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
              Hi Marilyn:

              I am curious if you have seen the HRONEC, HARENCAR, or KAFFAN surnames in
              the MARKUSOVCE records. As I mentioned in my prior posting to Jim, while my
              grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC was born in STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYICA), her parents
              were from DOMANOVCE, which is very close to MARKUSOVCE. One of my
              grandmother's relatives is a RISH family (though I'm not sure if the marriage occurred in
              Slovakia or in America). I have seen a reference in the MLYNICA church
              records to a HRONEC family from TEPLICKA which appears to be next to MARKUSOVCE.
              The origin of my HRONEC clan traces back to my great, great, great
              grandfather who was born in ROZNAVA. Other names in my lineage around the DOMANOVCE
              area are BUKSAR, BELAK, HARBALY, RUSNAK (OROSZ), and CUJ (CSUJ) (as well as
              related TOPOLY family). If any of these names ring a bell, please let me know,
              as I'm trying to track down several branches in my family tree. Thank you.

              Best regards,

              David

            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
                But, Slovenia was part of Austria and by 1920, part of Yugoslavia. So are you sure that the family is Slovak originally, not Slovene?