RE: [S-R] Score! Finally verified place of birth for my great-grandfather.

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
      Iglo and Spisska Nova Ves are the same city

      Marilyn

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
        I have been researching in the records from Markusovce, Slovakia (St.
        Michaels Roman Catholic Church), from LDS, and I have seen many listings for
        the name Melinkant and most of the time they are from Olsse. The ancient
        script used in the books often shows the double "s" looking like "fs"
        without the "f" being crossed, so be aware that if is a double S and not FS.
        I have an 1800 map showing "Iglo" where more modern maps show Spisska Nova
        Ves, which I can forward to you if you like.

        Do you have an exact date of birth, or just a guess? Do you have a date of
        birth for Maria? There are Hritz from that area also.

        Happy Hunting,
        Marilyn

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
          John Mellikant was born 23 Jun 1874 and Mary Hrisz was born on 12 Aug
          1884 (both my and my oldest daughter's b-day is Aug 12).

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein"
          <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

          > I have been researching in the records from Markusovce, Slovakia (St.
          > Michaels Roman Catholic Church), from LDS, and I have seen many
          listings for
          > the name Melinkant and most of the time they are from Olsse. The
          ancient
          > script used in the books often shows the double "s" looking like "fs"
          > without the "f" being crossed, so be aware that if is a double S and
          not FS.
          > I have an 1800 map showing "Iglo" where more modern maps show
          Spisska Nova
          > Ves, which I can forward to you if you like.
          >
          > Do you have an exact date of birth, or just a guess? Do you have a
          date of
          > birth for Maria? There are Hritz from that area also.
          >
          > Happy Hunting,
          > Marilyn
          >
          > _____

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
            >>> origin may have been a town called Olshow somehere in the
            Austria Hungary Empire. . . . born in 1874 and immigrated to
            the US in 1894. . . . Iglo, Austria as his place of birth . . .
            I speculated that he came from Olsse, Slovakia near Spisska Nova Ves.
            <<<

            is also necessary to know the >>>religion<<<.

            Let's focus on PLACE and not NAME.

            Iglo = Spisske Nova Ves may be close or even actual. 8km EsE is the
            tiny village of Ols'a, which may be the actual family base. On the
            1910 Szepes Megye = county map it shows as Olosbanya.
            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg

            The church records for Ols'a are probably found with Markusovce.

            So, we are looking for a birth in 1874 in the _______________
            religion church records of either Spisska Nova Ves or Markusovce.

            To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name,
            go to the LDS web site:
            www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
            (zomreli).

            go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
            will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

            If you want to see who lived in Markusovce in 1869, check the cnesus
            film:
            Márkus-Csépánfalu (Markušovce) Film #2149898 Item 3

            Good luck.
          • jmellicant
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
              Thanks, I already found this...

              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bakerroots/1870.html

              with a few Melikants in it.

              The person who did this research listed these (below) microfilm reels
              as sources. Fortunately, there's a LDS reading room within a mile from
              where I live. I just have to get off my "duff" and request them.

              Film #1739642
              Item 10
              Krsteni (Baptisms) 1697-1698, 1703-1752
              Sobaseni (Marriages) 1703-1753
              Zomreli (Deaths) 1715-1723

              Film #1739643
              Items 1-2
              Krsteni (Baptisms) 1751-1753, 1754-1843, 1852
              Sobaseni (Marriages) 1754-1843, 1852
              Zomreli (Deaths) 1723-1753, 1754-1842, 1842-1843, 1852

              Film #1739643
              Items 3-6
              Krsteni (Baptisms) 1844-1852, 1852-1868
              Sobaseni (Marriages) 1844-1852
              Zomreli (Deaths) 1844-1852

              Film #1739644 Entire Film
              Krsteni (Baptisms) 1868-1894
              Sobaseni (Marriages) 1852-1883
              Zomreli (Deaths) 1852-1883

              Film #1739645
              Items 1-2
              Sobaseni (Marriages) 1883-1896
              Zomreli (Deaths) 1883-1896

              > Austria Hungary Empire. . . . born in 1874 and immigrated to
              > the US in 1894. . . . Iglo, Austria as his place of birth . . .
              > I speculated that he came from Olsse, Slovakia near Spisska Nova Ves.
              > <<<
              >
              > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
              > village is paramount because records are organized by village not
              > nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It
              > is also necessary to know the >>>religion<<<.
              >
              > Let's focus on PLACE and not NAME.
              >
              > Iglo = Spisske Nova Ves may be close or even actual. 8km EsE is the
              > tiny village of Ols'a, which may be the actual family base. On the
              > 1910 Szepes Megye = county map it shows as Olosbanya.
              > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg
              >
              > The church records for Ols'a are probably found with Markusovce.
              >
              > So, we are looking for a birth in 1874 in the _______________
              > religion church records of either Spisska Nova Ves or Markusovce.
              >
              > To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name,
              > go to the LDS web site:
              > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
              > records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths
              > (zomreli).
              >
              > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
              > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family History
              > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to
              > go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
              > will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
              >
              > If you want to see who lived in Markusovce in 1869, check the cnesus
              > film:
              > Márkus-Csépánfalu (Markušovce) Film #2149898 Item 3
              >
              > Good luck.

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
                > Film #1739642, Item 10 Markusovce
                > Film #1739643, Items 1-2 Markusovce
                > Film #1739643, Items 3-6
                > Film #1739644 Markusovce
                > Film #1739645 Markusovce

                These films are all Markusovce and RC. Start with what you KNOW. That
                is the year of birth. Get one film at a time and work from there.
              • Marilyn Hertenstein
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
                  I have a copy of a record of a Joannes Melikant, born June 23, baptized June
                  24, 1875, son of Joannes Melikant of Olsse and Helena Franko of
                  Csepanfalvu, Catholic, and a term which a few of us some time ago determined
                  to be miner because the area had lots of mineral mines. Michael and
                  Elizabeth Krajnyak were Godparents or witnesses, and Joannes Mihalik was the
                  Minister. The family resided in Olsse #84. If you give me your email
                  address, I can send it to you.

                  Marilyn
                  mjhertenstein@...
                  (My grandparents were baptized in the same church. VARSA was their name)

                  _____

                  <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                  > I have been researching in the records from Markusovce, Slovakia (St.
                  > Michaels Roman Catholic Church), from LDS, and I have seen many
                  listings for
                  > the name Melinkant and most of the time they are from Olsse. The
                  ancient
                  > script used in the books often shows the double "s" looking like "fs"
                  > without the "f" being crossed, so be aware that if is a double S and
                  not FS.
                  > I have an 1800 map showing "Iglo" where more modern maps show
                  Spisska Nova
                  > Ves, which I can forward to you if you like.
                  >
                  > Do you have an exact date of birth, or just a guess? Do you have a
                  date of
                  > birth for Maria? There are Hritz from that area also.
                  >
                  > Happy Hunting,
                  > Marilyn
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com
                  yahoogroups.com] On
                  > Behalf Of jmellicant
                  > Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:10 PM
                  > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [S-R] Score! Finally verified place of birth for my
                  > great-grandfather.
                  >

                  > First I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Jim Mellicant. I've
                  > just developed the "genealogy bug" about a month ago (thirty years too
                  > late, afaic) and I've been lurking here for about that time.
                  >
                  > My family name originally (at least in the US) was Mellikant but my
                  > father's birth certificate had an improper spelling and because he
                  > grew up in a foster home the name stuck.
                  >
                  > Because of the circumstances of my father's childhood we have very
                  > little info regarding his family. The few things I did know was the
                  > country of origin may have been a town called Olshow somehere in the
                  > Austria Hungary Empire. I have been able to piece together some info
                  > online but would welcome any advice anyone may have to offer.
                  >
                  > My great-grandfather's name was John Valentine Mellikant and he was
                  > born in 1874 and immigrated to the US in 1894. He settled in Chicago
                  > and married Mary Hrisz who also immigrated to the US but in 1896 (from
                  > exactly where I don't yet know).
                  >
                  > Today I learned that he put Iglo, Austria as his place of birth on his
                  > WWI Draft Registration Card. (My father visited the National Archives
                  > office in Chicago yesterday and got the record.)
                  >
                  > Prior to this, from online research, I speculated that he came from
                  > Olsse, Slovakia near Spisska Nova Ves. There are many existing
                  > Melikant's in the area (original family name spelling?) and from some
                  > other "Melikant" documents I've found on the web this looked
                  > promising. I have been able to associate Iglo and Spisska Nova Ves
                  > online so I think there is a definite connection.
                  >
                  > As I said I'd appreciate any comments or observations anyone my want
                  > to toss my way. Thanks.

                • jmellicant
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
                    That's incredible! Thank you so very much. My email is
                    slovakroots@... (and yes, I created that just to use on this
                    forum).

                    <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                    > I have a copy of a record of a Joannes Melikant, born June 23,
                    baptized June
                    > 24, 1875, son of Joannes Melikant of Olsse and Helena Franko of
                    > Csepanfalvu, Catholic, and a term which a few of us some time ago
                    determined
                    > to be miner because the area had lots of mineral mines. Michael and
                    > Elizabeth Krajnyak were Godparents or witnesses, and Joannes Mihalik
                    was the
                    > Minister. The family resided in Olsse #84. If you give me your email
                    > address, I can send it to you.
                    >
                    > Marilyn
                    > mjhertenstein@...
                    > (My grandparents were baptized in the same church. VARSA was their
                    name)

                    > _____

                  • jmellicant
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
                      Thank you. I really appreciate all the help everyone is sending my way.