Re: [S-R] Score! Finally verified place of birth for my great-grandfather.

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
      Welcome to the group,

      Traditionally, Austria referred not to the counties of Hungary, they were
      distinct, even under the dual-monarchy. However, a mistake could have
      been made. Plus lots of confusion by the writers of the documents you are
      reading.

      IGLO is the Magyar (Hungarian) name of a a village. So I have a hunch you
      belong is present-day Slovakia. IGLO is in the former SZEPES county in
      the present-day Slovakia. So you're in the right region. I have the
      cross-reference for the current name in a book at home. It may
      cross-check to something that sounds/looks like "Olshow".
      Later, Bill

      Bill

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
        Hi and welcome, Jim. Did you find your g-g-grandfather and family in the 1920 census? I see a likely candidate, right age, right immigration year, in Chicago with wife Mary imm. 1896, age 30, and seven children. This John Mellikant is from Jugoslavia. Which was also part of Austria. You may be barking up the wrong javor. John and Mary are Slovenian. He is a foreman in an iron works place.

        I'll poke around more and see what else turns up. Can you confirm the children? Steven, Elizabeth, Mary, Julia, Helen, Katherine, John.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
          Nope, that's my gr-grandfather. My grandfather is Steven and I've
          verified the other family members and the address. This record
          actually provided a lot of info but the only other record was the WWI
          Draft Card which was not viewable on ancestry.com which is why my dad
          visited the National Archives office in Chicago. Although I currently
          live in Maryland, I was born and raised in Chicago where my extended
          family currently lives.

          As for the Yugoslavian reference, if you notice, the census taker
          marks just about EVERYONE on that page as "Yugoslavian" who speaks
          Slovenian, which are two different countries altogether. I discounted
          the references.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...> wrote:

          > Hi and welcome, Jim. Did you find your g-g-grandfather and family
          in the 1920 census? I see a likely candidate, right age, right
          immigration year, in Chicago with wife Mary imm. 1896, age 30, and
          seven children. This John Mellikant is from Jugoslavia. Which was
          also part of Austria. You may be barking up the wrong javor. John
          and Mary are Slovenian. He is a foreman in an iron works place.

          > I'll poke around more and see what else turns up. Can you confirm
          the children? Steven, Elizabeth, Mary, Julia, Helen, Katherine, John.

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
            Jim,
            Welcome to Slovak-Roots.
            Using the Fuzzy Gazetteer I found the coordinates of Iglo, Slovakia to be 48 degrees 57 minutes North by 20 degrees 34 minutes East. Using my 1:100,000 Slovak Atlas those coordinates are now within the city of Spisska Nova Ves. I then looked at the 1910 Hungarian Map of Szepes county. The Hungarian name for Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo.
            Michael Mojher

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
              Hello Jim:

              Welcome! One possibility for OLSHOW is the village of OLSOV (OL'SOV) which
              is north of SPISSKE VLACHY and west of LIPANY, several of the larger towns in
              and around the SPIS area. While it is not next to IGLO (SPISSKA NOVA VES),
              it is in the general vicinity. If you want to take a look on a map, I would
              suggest using MAPY which is accessible through Bill Tarkulich's Eastern
              Genealogical Research Strategies website at www.iabsi.com and then click the link
              for MAPS. Bill's website is a great resource, and I constantly use it my
              springboard for further research. The village of OL'SOV came up toward the
              top of the results (best result for Slovakia) when I did a search in the FUZZY
              GAZETTEER (a phonetic village finder) with the name OLSHOW. I would often
              hear of SPISSKA NOVA VES (IGLO) as a general reference, even though my
              grandparents lived in nearby SPISSKE VLACHY, because SPISSKA NOVA VEST was the
              largest village in the SPIS region.

              The surname HRISZ appear familiar to me, as I am related to a RISH family.
              It is on my paternal grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC's side of the family. She
              was born in STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA) in the SPIS region and other relatives
              lived in DOMANOVCE in the SPIS region. I am not sure if the marriage in my
              grandmother's family occurred in Slovakia or in America. The HRISZ surname is
              also intriguing to me because my paternal grandfather ANDREW BALOGA was born
              in the village of HRISOVCE (also called HRISCHOWCZE) in the SPIS region.

              Please feel free to contact me directly, and I would be happy to check to
              see if there is any relation to my RISH family.

              Overall, the best thing to concentrate on is finding the correct village of
              origin, and for this reason, I would really encourage you to visit Bill
              Tarkulich's website which provides a lot of great guidance in helping to locate
              the correct village. Otherwise, if one finds a similar name but the wrong
              village, one may be off on the proverbial wild goose chase.

              Best regards,

              David

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
                Hi Marilyn:

                I am curious if you have seen the HRONEC, HARENCAR, or KAFFAN surnames in
                the MARKUSOVCE records. As I mentioned in my prior posting to Jim, while my
                grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC was born in STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYICA), her parents
                were from DOMANOVCE, which is very close to MARKUSOVCE. One of my
                grandmother's relatives is a RISH family (though I'm not sure if the marriage occurred in
                Slovakia or in America). I have seen a reference in the MLYNICA church
                records to a HRONEC family from TEPLICKA which appears to be next to MARKUSOVCE.
                The origin of my HRONEC clan traces back to my great, great, great
                grandfather who was born in ROZNAVA. Other names in my lineage around the DOMANOVCE
                area are BUKSAR, BELAK, HARBALY, RUSNAK (OROSZ), and CUJ (CSUJ) (as well as
                related TOPOLY family). If any of these names ring a bell, please let me know,
                as I'm trying to track down several branches in my family tree. Thank you.

                Best regards,

                David

              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
                  But, Slovenia was part of Austria and by 1920, part of Yugoslavia. So are you sure that the family is Slovak originally, not Slovene?