Re: [S-R] Score! Finally verified place of birth for my great-grandfather.

  • Julia Anderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
      Dear Jim,
      Try these two sites, Susan Williams very kindly sent them to me last week.
      www.ellisislandrecords.org
      and an even better one
      www.stevemorse.org

      You will get different spellings of his name, plus there is a always the chance
      (a good chance) that the person writing the name down heard it/spelt it incorrectly plus
      the records are then transcribed, another chance for errors!

      Good luck.
      Julia Anderson (Tornoczki)
      Cambridge, UK

      From: jmellicant

      First I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Jim Mellicant. I've
      just developed the "genealogy bug" about a month ago (thirty years too
      late, afaic) and I've been lurking here for about that time.

      My family name originally (at least in the US) was Mellikant but my
      father's birth certificate had an improper spelling and because he
      grew up in a foster home the name stuck.

      Because of the circumstances of my father's childhood we have very
      little info regarding his family. The few things I did know was the
      country of origin may have been a town called Olshow somehere in the
      Austria Hungary Empire. I have been able to piece together some info
      online but would welcome any advice anyone may have to offer.

      My great-grandfather's name was John Valentine Mellikant and he was
      born in 1874 and immigrated to the US in 1894. He settled in Chicago
      and married Mary Hrisz who also immigrated to the US but in 1896 (from
      exactly where I don't yet know).

      Today I learned that he put Iglo, Austria as his place of birth on his
      WWI Draft Registration Card. (My father visited the National Archives
      office in Chicago yesterday and got the record.)

      Prior to this, from online research, I speculated that he came from
      Olsse, Slovakia near Spisska Nova Ves. There are many existing
      Melikant's in the area (original family name spelling?) and from some
      other "Melikant" documents I've found on the web this looked
      promising. I have been able to associate Iglo and Spisska Nova Ves
      online so I think there is a definite connection.

      As I said I'd appreciate any comments or observations anyone my want
      to toss my way. Thanks.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
        Welcome to the group,

        Traditionally, Austria referred not to the counties of Hungary, they were
        distinct, even under the dual-monarchy. However, a mistake could have
        been made. Plus lots of confusion by the writers of the documents you are
        reading.

        IGLO is the Magyar (Hungarian) name of a a village. So I have a hunch you
        belong is present-day Slovakia. IGLO is in the former SZEPES county in
        the present-day Slovakia. So you're in the right region. I have the
        cross-reference for the current name in a book at home. It may
        cross-check to something that sounds/looks like "Olshow".
        Later, Bill

        Bill

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
          Hi and welcome, Jim. Did you find your g-g-grandfather and family in the 1920 census? I see a likely candidate, right age, right immigration year, in Chicago with wife Mary imm. 1896, age 30, and seven children. This John Mellikant is from Jugoslavia. Which was also part of Austria. You may be barking up the wrong javor. John and Mary are Slovenian. He is a foreman in an iron works place.

          I'll poke around more and see what else turns up. Can you confirm the children? Steven, Elizabeth, Mary, Julia, Helen, Katherine, John.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
            Nope, that's my gr-grandfather. My grandfather is Steven and I've
            verified the other family members and the address. This record
            actually provided a lot of info but the only other record was the WWI
            Draft Card which was not viewable on ancestry.com which is why my dad
            visited the National Archives office in Chicago. Although I currently
            live in Maryland, I was born and raised in Chicago where my extended
            family currently lives.

            As for the Yugoslavian reference, if you notice, the census taker
            marks just about EVERYONE on that page as "Yugoslavian" who speaks
            Slovenian, which are two different countries altogether. I discounted
            the references.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...> wrote:

            > Hi and welcome, Jim. Did you find your g-g-grandfather and family
            in the 1920 census? I see a likely candidate, right age, right
            immigration year, in Chicago with wife Mary imm. 1896, age 30, and
            seven children. This John Mellikant is from Jugoslavia. Which was
            also part of Austria. You may be barking up the wrong javor. John
            and Mary are Slovenian. He is a foreman in an iron works place.

            > I'll poke around more and see what else turns up. Can you confirm
            the children? Steven, Elizabeth, Mary, Julia, Helen, Katherine, John.

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
              Jim,
              Welcome to Slovak-Roots.
              Using the Fuzzy Gazetteer I found the coordinates of Iglo, Slovakia to be 48 degrees 57 minutes North by 20 degrees 34 minutes East. Using my 1:100,000 Slovak Atlas those coordinates are now within the city of Spisska Nova Ves. I then looked at the 1910 Hungarian Map of Szepes county. The Hungarian name for Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo.
              Michael Mojher

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
                Hello Jim:

                Welcome! One possibility for OLSHOW is the village of OLSOV (OL'SOV) which
                is north of SPISSKE VLACHY and west of LIPANY, several of the larger towns in
                and around the SPIS area. While it is not next to IGLO (SPISSKA NOVA VES),
                it is in the general vicinity. If you want to take a look on a map, I would
                suggest using MAPY which is accessible through Bill Tarkulich's Eastern
                Genealogical Research Strategies website at www.iabsi.com and then click the link
                for MAPS. Bill's website is a great resource, and I constantly use it my
                springboard for further research. The village of OL'SOV came up toward the
                top of the results (best result for Slovakia) when I did a search in the FUZZY
                GAZETTEER (a phonetic village finder) with the name OLSHOW. I would often
                hear of SPISSKA NOVA VES (IGLO) as a general reference, even though my
                grandparents lived in nearby SPISSKE VLACHY, because SPISSKA NOVA VEST was the
                largest village in the SPIS region.

                The surname HRISZ appear familiar to me, as I am related to a RISH family.
                It is on my paternal grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC's side of the family. She
                was born in STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA) in the SPIS region and other relatives
                lived in DOMANOVCE in the SPIS region. I am not sure if the marriage in my
                grandmother's family occurred in Slovakia or in America. The HRISZ surname is
                also intriguing to me because my paternal grandfather ANDREW BALOGA was born
                in the village of HRISOVCE (also called HRISCHOWCZE) in the SPIS region.

                Please feel free to contact me directly, and I would be happy to check to
                see if there is any relation to my RISH family.

                Overall, the best thing to concentrate on is finding the correct village of
                origin, and for this reason, I would really encourage you to visit Bill
                Tarkulich's website which provides a lot of great guidance in helping to locate
                the correct village. Otherwise, if one finds a similar name but the wrong
                village, one may be off on the proverbial wild goose chase.

                Best regards,

                David

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
                  Hi Marilyn:

                  I am curious if you have seen the HRONEC, HARENCAR, or KAFFAN surnames in
                  the MARKUSOVCE records. As I mentioned in my prior posting to Jim, while my
                  grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC was born in STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYICA), her parents
                  were from DOMANOVCE, which is very close to MARKUSOVCE. One of my
                  grandmother's relatives is a RISH family (though I'm not sure if the marriage occurred in
                  Slovakia or in America). I have seen a reference in the MLYNICA church
                  records to a HRONEC family from TEPLICKA which appears to be next to MARKUSOVCE.
                  The origin of my HRONEC clan traces back to my great, great, great
                  grandfather who was born in ROZNAVA. Other names in my lineage around the DOMANOVCE
                  area are BUKSAR, BELAK, HARBALY, RUSNAK (OROSZ), and CUJ (CSUJ) (as well as
                  related TOPOLY family). If any of these names ring a bell, please let me know,
                  as I'm trying to track down several branches in my family tree. Thank you.

                  Best regards,

                  David

                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
                    But, Slovenia was part of Austria and by 1920, part of Yugoslavia. So are you sure that the family is Slovak originally, not Slovene?