Re: tornoczki (part 2)

  • Paul Guzowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2007
      Julia,
      Glad my recommendation on the Lendvai book resonated with you. I hope
      you enjoy it as much as I do (I'm not finished with it yet). In the
      first part of my message, which I thought I sent inadvertently but
      apparently didn't go anywhere, I recommended James Michener's "The
      Bridge at Andau" as a short and exciting read on the 1956 Hungarian
      Revolution. Michener was a journalist covering the revolution from the
      little village of Andau. He interviewed many of the escaping refugees
      and even went across the little footbridge to help some escapees
      himself.
      The book is an historical novel, so to speak, but from what I know of
      the revolution from other sources and from living in Budapest for three
      years it seems to be historically correct. Since the book was
      originally published only four or five months after the revolution
      failed, he switched around the names and some other details of the
      events so that surviving relatives of the escaped refugees would not be
      hunted down and persecuted. The version of the book I have was printed
      much later and at the end Michener explains who was really who. There
      aren't many books that grip me such that I can't put them down but I
      think I finished that one in one sitting.

      Anyway, glad to have helped a bit and good luck with your research.

      Paul in Bratislava
      Homebase in Carlisle, PA, USA