Re: [S-R] tornoczki

  • Julia Anderson
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
      Dear Janet,
      Thank you for the email. I didn't even have the correct pronunciation
      of my name but now I do. I had been having trouble with the Hungarian phone book
      because I couldn't work out how to get in up in English, so thanks for the English version
      of the website. But what did you do to find 49 Tornoczkis, please? because I searched and found none!
      Kind regards
      Julia
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
        Dear John,
        Thanks for looking for me. Do you have an English website address for the Slovak
        phone book for me please?
        Kind regards
        Julia
        > The names Tornoczki, Tornoczi, and Tornoci all mean "from Tornoc,"
        a village
        > in old Nyitra county in Hungary which Michael has identified for
        you.

        > "cz" is an obsolete Hungarian letter which has now been replaced
        by "c" and
        > is pronounced "ts."

        With that clue (I was looking up cz in the archives and your message
        showed up) I checked the Slovak online phone book and found a couple
        Tornoci in Trnava and one in Dunajska Streda. Both towns are within a
        25 mile radius of Trnovec Nad Vahom.

        John M

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
          >>> Do you have an English website address for the Slovak phone book
          for me please? <<<

          Sorry, none exists. You simply need to follow instructions.

          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
          looking them up in the phone book white pages at
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

          To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last
          name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

          Put a 0 into the town/mesto field and that will serve as wild-card
          search for all of Slovakia. If your search results in too long a list,
          it will show the message "Našiel som príliš ve¾a záznamov.
          Došpecifikujte požiadavku."

          Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
          http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html
        • Julia Anderson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
            Paul,
            Thank you - book ordered - as well as Blacklisted by Paul Lendvai, an account of his life.
            Looks very interesting (and sad).
            Julia Anderson (Tornoczki)
            Cambridge, UK
            Julia and group,
            Sorry I accidentally hit the send button before I finished the
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
              Dear Julia,

              I'll be more explicit this time.

              When you go to the Telekom site, check Advanced Search under the Online
              Directory Assistance. Then put Tornoc in the name box and check "Similar
              names, too." That should give you the 49 entries.

              Good luck, Janet

              _____

              http://www.magyarte <http://www.magyartelekom.hu/english/main.vm>