Re: [S-R] tornoczki (part 2)

  • bike_for_life2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2007
      Julia and group,
      Sorry I accidentally hit the send button before I finished the
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
        Dear Janet,
        Thank you for the email. I didn't even have the correct pronunciation
        of my name but now I do. I had been having trouble with the Hungarian phone book
        because I couldn't work out how to get in up in English, so thanks for the English version
        of the website. But what did you do to find 49 Tornoczkis, please? because I searched and found none!

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
          Dear John,
          Thanks for looking for me. Do you have an English website address for the Slovak
          phone book for me please?
          Kind regards
          Julia
          > The names Tornoczki, Tornoczi, and Tornoci all mean "from Tornoc,"
          a village
          > in old Nyitra county in Hungary which Michael has identified for
          you.

          > "cz" is an obsolete Hungarian letter which has now been replaced
          by "c" and
          > is pronounced "ts."

          With that clue (I was looking up cz in the archives and your message
          showed up) I checked the Slovak online phone book and found a couple
          Tornoci in Trnava and one in Dunajska Streda. Both towns are within a
          25 mile radius of Trnovec Nad Vahom.

          John M

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
            >>> Do you have an English website address for the Slovak phone book
            for me please? <<<

            Sorry, none exists. You simply need to follow instructions.

            You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
            looking them up in the phone book white pages at
            http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

            To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last
            name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

            Put a 0 into the town/mesto field and that will serve as wild-card
            search for all of Slovakia. If your search results in too long a list,
            it will show the message "Našiel som príliš ve¾a záznamov.
            Došpecifikujte požiadavku."

            Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
            http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html
          • Julia Anderson
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
              Paul,
              Thank you - book ordered - as well as Blacklisted by Paul Lendvai, an account of his life.
              Looks very interesting (and sad).
              Julia Anderson (Tornoczki)
              Cambridge, UK

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
                Dear Julia,

                I'll be more explicit this time.

                When you go to the Telekom site, check Advanced Search under the Online
                Directory Assistance. Then put Tornoc in the name box and check "Similar
                names, too." That should give you the 49 entries.

                Good luck, Janet

                _____

                http://www.magyarte <http://www.magyartelekom.hu/english/main.vm>