Village Surname

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2007
      On my trip to Slovakia in June I came across the use of a "village surname".
      I was searching for a family and was directed to a residence where the family was using the surname I was looking for. During our conversation we were told that the surname I was looking for was not the families real surname. They said they had chose to use the "village surname" instead of their real one. I was told three other families in the village had made this choice.
      I was told that immigrants from the village to the United States would some times chose to use the "village surname" instead of their real one once they got there.
      The man I was speaking with admitted that they have used the "village surname" for so long most people in the village do not know his real surname.
      The ramifications of a "village surname" for someone doing a search are obvious. As the gentleman told me, "If someone came looking for someone by my real surname they would be told no one by that name lives here." It also makes searching for those immigrants, as I was doing, almost impossible since we don't know their real surname.
      An example might be our new member Julia Anderson. She is searching the surname Tornoc. Janet Kozlay explained that Tornoc translates to "from Tornoc". I'm not saying Tornoc is a "village surname". But it is in the nature of what one might be.
      As anyone come across the problem of where the surname they were searching for could fit into the category of a "village surname"?
      Michael Mojher