Re: [S-R] tornoczki

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2007
      Julia,
      Welcome to Slovak-Roots.
      I couldn't find Tornoc in my Slovakia Atlas. A Google search says that it is now called Trnovec nad Vahom. It is across the Vah River from the city of Sala. Both are 32 km / 19miles east of Bratislava. Trnovec nad Vahom has a population of 2500+. It is about 75% Slovak and 25% Hungarian.
      Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2007
        Dear Julia,

        The names Tornoczki, Tornoczi, and Tornoci all mean "from Tornoc," a village
        in old Nyitra county in Hungary which Michael has identified for you.

        "cz" is an obsolete Hungarian letter which has now been replaced by "c" and
        is pronounced "ts."

        Though Michael did not find this name in the Slovak phone book, there are 49
        entries in the Hungarian phone book.

        Just because the name related to the village of Tornoc does not mean that
        you would find people of that name in Trnovec nad Vahom today. In fact, a
        person was probably given this name because he was "from Tornocz" to
        distinguish him from others with the same given name. In other words, he
        would probably not have been living there at the time but had moved
        elsewhere. Also, family names were adopted several hundred years ago.
        Finally, Mihaly is a Hungarian given name, not a Slovak one, so it is
        unlikely that he was living in present-day Slovakia.

        Unless you can locate information that would suggest where Mihaly lived, it
        will be very difficult for you to locate relatives. Many of those in the
        phone book live in Budapest, which is a very large city. Unless you have
        already done so, I suggest you read about the 1956 Hungarian Revolution,
        much of which took place in Budapest. If you are up to the task, you might
        try writing to all of those in the phone book to see if anyone remembers
        Mihaly. To find their addresses, go to

        http://www.magyartelekom.hu/english/main.vm and do an Advanced Search on
        TORNOC, asking to search for similar names.

        Good luck, Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 2007
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
          wrote:

          > Dear Julia,
          >

          > The names Tornoczki, Tornoczi, and Tornoci all mean "from Tornoc,"
          a village
          > in old Nyitra county in Hungary which Michael has identified for
          you.

          > "cz" is an obsolete Hungarian letter which has now been replaced
          by "c" and
          > is pronounced "ts."

          With that clue (I was looking up cz in the archives and your message
          showed up) I checked the Slovak online phone book and found a couple
          Tornoci in Trnava and one in Dunajska Streda. Both towns are within a
          25 mile radius of Trnovec Nad Vahom.

          John M
        • bike_for_life2003
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31, 2007
            Julia and group,
            Sorry I accidentally hit the send button before I finished the
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
              Dear Janet,
              Thank you for the email. I didn't even have the correct pronunciation
              of my name but now I do. I had been having trouble with the Hungarian phone book
              because I couldn't work out how to get in up in English, so thanks for the English version
              of the website. But what did you do to find 49 Tornoczkis, please? because I searched and found none!

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
                Dear John,
                Thanks for looking for me. Do you have an English website address for the Slovak
                phone book for me please?
                Kind regards
                Julia
                > The names Tornoczki, Tornoczi, and Tornoci all mean "from Tornoc,"
                a village
                > in old Nyitra county in Hungary which Michael has identified for
                you.

                > "cz" is an obsolete Hungarian letter which has now been replaced
                by "c" and
                > is pronounced "ts."

                With that clue (I was looking up cz in the archives and your message
                showed up) I checked the Slovak online phone book and found a couple
                Tornoci in Trnava and one in Dunajska Streda. Both towns are within a
                25 mile radius of Trnovec Nad Vahom.

                John M

              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
                  >>> Do you have an English website address for the Slovak phone book
                  for me please? <<<

                  Sorry, none exists. You simply need to follow instructions.

                  You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
                  looking them up in the phone book white pages at
                  http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

                  To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last
                  name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

                  Put a 0 into the town/mesto field and that will serve as wild-card
                  search for all of Slovakia. If your search results in too long a list,
                  it will show the message "Našiel som príliš ve¾a záznamov.
                  Došpecifikujte požiadavku."

                  Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
                  http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html
                • Julia Anderson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
                    Paul,
                    Thank you - book ordered - as well as Blacklisted by Paul Lendvai, an account of his life.
                    Looks very interesting (and sad).
                    Julia Anderson (Tornoczki)
                    Cambridge, UK

                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
                      Dear Julia,

                      I'll be more explicit this time.

                      When you go to the Telekom site, check Advanced Search under the Online
                      Directory Assistance. Then put Tornoc in the name box and check "Similar
                      names, too." That should give you the 49 entries.

                      Good luck, Janet

                      _____

                      http://www.magyarte <http://www.magyartelekom.hu/english/main.vm>