Re: [S-R] Re: I have returned from Hungary and what a trip!!!!!

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 29 11:55 AM
      Hi Jan:

      It sounds like you had an exciting trip to Slovakia and Hungary. I noticed
      that you mentioned the village of MOSONMAGYAROVAR ("Old Castle of the Magyars
      in Moson"), and was curious if there were any remaining signs from the time
      of the Romans when it was a Roman outpost called AD FLEXUM. When you get a
      chance, I would love to hear more about your trip, and I believe that a lot of
      others would also.

      Best regards,

      David

    • Jan Ammann

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 29 7:40 PM
          You are welcome............well, I may be there again before 2009 so will then give it the "good old second try".

          Hummmmmmm........also closed in March. I do believe there may be a "conspiracy" to keep us good people from finding more information about our families. I just made about 8 steps inside this time but next time intend to stay the whole day.

          "Frank R. Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:
          Jan,

          Thanks for trying.

          You know what you have done, don't you? You have made it necessary for me
          to make the trip myself. LOL! That's OK. But it will have to wait.

          Driving from Virginia to Alaska is on my schedule for 8 weeks next summer.
          So Hungary and a trip to the Budapest archives will need to wait until 2009.
          Now that I have retired, I have to limit myself to one major trip per year.

          I did find the Austro-Hungarian military unit that my Grandfather served in
          WWI. The Vienna Archives told me that my GF's military record would be
          available in Budapest.

          Funny thing is that when I was there in March 2006 the archives was also
          closed.

          Thanks again.

          Frank Plichta

          Galax, Virginia