Re: [S-R] Re: Seeking Advice

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2007
      100 years ago, it was VERY common for American households to have
      boarders, unlike today, where people stick to their immediate family. It
      was done for several reasons, including additional income, and to harbor
      other family for a period of time. Almost always it was single men or
      women. Take a look at census documents from the 1890s to 1920, it will
      bear this out.

      Here's an example. My grandparents took in a cousin (an unwed male) who
      happened to be there when my father was born in 1919, and became his
      godfather. He was gone a few years later. My father never knew who the
      fellow was or where he lived. I uncovered this from US census data.

      With regard to "pulling others over", it too was a common phenomena. In
      my villages, 2,3 or 4 men would go to America (presumably to "check it
      out".) They would live in a boarding house initially, working for a few
      years. Then others from the village would come and live nearby: sisters,
      brothers, cousins, wives, children. In my family, the period of 1907 to
      1914 (WWI start) was the largest surge, just like the general immigration
      statistics.
      Once here, they would move a couple times before they "settled down."

      Since it was illegal for employers to recruit overseas, word-of-mouth
      discussion of relative prosperity was common amoung immigrants and their
      families and friends.

      Why Reading? Each town has it's own story. Often it only took one
      immigrant, the first. He (usually a "he") probably got to talking with
      someone who told him about the job opportunities there.

      In my village, there was an initial flood to Scranton, then a couple years
      later, Corning (yes, we found a lot of Slovaks and Rusyns there but for
      only 3 years!), then Binghampton, then Rochester. Each movement took
      fewer and fewer villagers. My villagers seemed to be pretty tight-nit,
      (population 300). As world turmoil took hold in 1914, and subsequent
      immigration restrictions, it's much more difficult to follow immigrants,
      immigration patterns became scrambles.

      Bill

      On Wed, August 29, 2007 9:20 am, jenna-m wrote:
      > I think the question about sponsorship is an interesting one. My
      > grandfather [who came in 1899] came to the U.S.and stayed with a sister
      > and brother in law already living in Reading, PA. The ship's manifest
      > while stating that he came from "Siroke" also noted that he was on his way
      > to Reading and noted the brother in law as a "contact."
      >
      > I know that when he first came he was given "a room" in his sister's
      > house, stayed there to work and then sent for his wife who came two years
      > later. So, there seems to have been a kind of "chain migration"...but it
      > would be interesting to know the particular catalyst for settlement in
      > Reading for many who seemed to have come from the same region in Slovakia.
      >
      > Jenna

    • Jan Ammann
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2007
        Hello everyone....

        I asked a family member when I was in Hungary if they had an old telephone book I could have. And yes they did...............They gave me the 2006 edition of the Gyõr-Moson-Sopron megye.

        And it lists all the towns/villages..............even the smallest one in this province/county. I will be glad to do a look-up of any family names you may have that you think may live in this area. When I look at the map in the front part of this telephone book I realize how close Szlovákia is to this megye.

        Of course, I will do it on a "first-come" basis and as I have the time but will be very happy to help anyone out.

        Jan