Re: [S-R] Re: Seeking Advice

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29 5:14 AM
      In a message dated 8/27/2007 4:11:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      pikagnome@... writes:

      Is there any
      way to track down records showing who a sponsor was, after all this
      time? I'm wondering if it was a citizen or business seeking
      employees. And would anyone know if this was common practice back
      then or was this like a form of indentured service?

      Terry,
      I do not know of any way of finding out who a sponsor may be. It would be
      great if possible. i have always believed that sponsors were probably the
      godparents of at least one of the children born in the States after the person
      came here.
      Noreen

    • jenna-m
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29 6:20 AM
        I think the question about sponsorship is an interesting one. My grandfather [who came in 1899] came to the U.S.and stayed with a sister and brother in law already living in Reading, PA. The ship's manifest while stating that he came from "Siroke" also noted that he was on his way to Reading and noted the brother in law as a "contact."

        I know that when he first came he was given "a room" in his sister's house, stayed there to work and then sent for his wife who came two years later. So, there seems to have been a kind of "chain migration"...but it would be interesting to know the particular catalyst for settlement in Reading for many who seemed to have come from the same region in Slovakia.

        Jenna

        ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
        http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29 8:01 AM
          Hi Jenna:

          I am not sure if this would be classified as sponsorship per se but when my
          grandfather ANDREW BALOGA (BALOG) immigrated to the United States in 1910
          from SPISSKE VLACHY, he came to BEDFORD, OHIO (a suburb or CLEVELAND, OHIO) and
          rented from a JOHN SZALOKY family (possibly related as the elder JOHN SZAOLY
          was sometimes referred to as "Uncle"). My grandmother and my aunt (who was 3
          at the time) subsequently immigrated. Some years later, two of my
          grandfather's brothers JOHN BALOGA and STEFAN BALOGA also immigrated to Cleveland,
          Ohio and stayed with my grandfather (although STEFAN BALOGA originally went to
          ARGENTINA and then to CLEVELAND) as indicated in their Ellis Island records.
          Both ultimately went back to Europe after working in Cleveland, Ohio. My
          grandfather was born in HRISOVCE, which is just over the hill from SIROKE. His
          grandfather JAN BALOGA was born in VITAZ next to SIROKE, and his grandfather
          MATHIAS BALOGA was originally from OVCIE (KIS VITEZ). The surnames in my
          direct lineage include: BALOG, BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCAR,
          HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, TAKACS (TKACS),
          and TOMASOV. The are a number of other families that I connected to in the
          SPIS/SARIS region, particularly around BRANISKO mountain area adjacent to
          SIROKE, and I have also been in contact with several other researchers in the
          area. I am curious as to the surnames in your lineage as there is a very good
          chance of a connection.

          Best regards,

          David

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29 8:20 AM
            100 years ago, it was VERY common for American households to have
            boarders, unlike today, where people stick to their immediate family. It
            was done for several reasons, including additional income, and to harbor
            other family for a period of time. Almost always it was single men or
            women. Take a look at census documents from the 1890s to 1920, it will
            bear this out.

            Here's an example. My grandparents took in a cousin (an unwed male) who
            happened to be there when my father was born in 1919, and became his
            godfather. He was gone a few years later. My father never knew who the
            fellow was or where he lived. I uncovered this from US census data.

            With regard to "pulling others over", it too was a common phenomena. In
            my villages, 2,3 or 4 men would go to America (presumably to "check it
            out".) They would live in a boarding house initially, working for a few
            years. Then others from the village would come and live nearby: sisters,
            brothers, cousins, wives, children. In my family, the period of 1907 to
            1914 (WWI start) was the largest surge, just like the general immigration
            statistics.
            Once here, they would move a couple times before they "settled down."

            Since it was illegal for employers to recruit overseas, word-of-mouth
            discussion of relative prosperity was common amoung immigrants and their
            families and friends.

            Why Reading? Each town has it's own story. Often it only took one
            immigrant, the first. He (usually a "he") probably got to talking with
            someone who told him about the job opportunities there.

            In my village, there was an initial flood to Scranton, then a couple years
            later, Corning (yes, we found a lot of Slovaks and Rusyns there but for
            only 3 years!), then Binghampton, then Rochester. Each movement took
            fewer and fewer villagers. My villagers seemed to be pretty tight-nit,
            (population 300). As world turmoil took hold in 1914, and subsequent
            immigration restrictions, it's much more difficult to follow immigrants,
            immigration patterns became scrambles.

            Bill

            On Wed, August 29, 2007 9:20 am, jenna-m wrote:
            > I think the question about sponsorship is an interesting one. My
            > grandfather [who came in 1899] came to the U.S.and stayed with a sister
            > and brother in law already living in Reading, PA. The ship's manifest
            > while stating that he came from "Siroke" also noted that he was on his way
            > to Reading and noted the brother in law as a "contact."
            >
            > I know that when he first came he was given "a room" in his sister's
            > house, stayed there to work and then sent for his wife who came two years
            > later. So, there seems to have been a kind of "chain migration"...but it
            > would be interesting to know the particular catalyst for settlement in
            > Reading for many who seemed to have come from the same region in Slovakia.
            >
            > Jenna

          • Jan Ammann
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29 10:59 AM
              Hello everyone....

              I asked a family member when I was in Hungary if they had an old telephone book I could have. And yes they did...............They gave me the 2006 edition of the Gyõr-Moson-Sopron megye.

              And it lists all the towns/villages..............even the smallest one in this province/county. I will be glad to do a look-up of any family names you may have that you think may live in this area. When I look at the map in the front part of this telephone book I realize how close Szlovákia is to this megye.

              Of course, I will do it on a "first-come" basis and as I have the time but will be very happy to help anyone out.

              Jan