[S-R] Re: I have returned from Hungary and what a trip!!!!!

  • Frank R. Plichta
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
      Jan,

      Thanks for trying.

      You know what you have done, don't you? You have made it necessary for me
      to make the trip myself. LOL! That's OK. But it will have to wait.

      Driving from Virginia to Alaska is on my schedule for 8 weeks next summer.
      So Hungary and a trip to the Budapest archives will need to wait until 2009.
      Now that I have retired, I have to limit myself to one major trip per year.

      I did find the Austro-Hungarian military unit that my Grandfather served in
      WWI. The Vienna Archives told me that my GF's military record would be
      available in Budapest.

      Funny thing is that when I was there in March 2006 the archives was also
      closed.

      Thanks again.

      Frank Plichta

      Galax, Virginia

      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

      _____

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
        Thanks Jan!

        I love and hate returning from Europe. There is so much new information,
        stories to tell and experiences bursting to come out, but wish I could have
        stayed another month, but are entirely jet-lagged exhausted and behind in
        one's obligations.

        I wish we had vacation allotments the way many European nations do.

        We will wait patiently (but anxiously) for details to emerge. Get some
        rest!

        Welcome home (or is it 2nd home :)

        Bill
      • Jan Ammann
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
          Hi Bill...............I am really lucky in that jet-lag has never bothered me either coming or going. So that is a big plus!! I have already worked on Monday and will work this coming Saturday at the Antique Shop.

          Yes.............the Europeans do have a lot more time off but I have often wondered if they work and have a salary and if that salary continues while they are off. I saw that most of the businesses in all the towns and villages I went to were open for business. I think they know "we are coming"..............smile. It was the government or archiv buildings which seem to be closed.

          I am going to send your "offical Budapest" photos as soon as I sign off here. And I do need to sit down and write up my travel. I do believe I will describe the traditional Hungarian wedding in a separate post.

          This is my home.......bluebonnet country in Texas......Hungary is certainly becoming my second home. The language is what is so maddening. I have learned some but without family with you it is a struggle.

        • david1law@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
            Hi Jan:

            It sounds like you had an exciting trip to Slovakia and Hungary. I noticed
            that you mentioned the village of MOSONMAGYAROVAR ("Old Castle of the Magyars
            in Moson"), and was curious if there were any remaining signs from the time
            of the Romans when it was a Roman outpost called AD FLEXUM. When you get a
            chance, I would love to hear more about your trip, and I believe that a lot of
            others would also.

            Best regards,

            David

          • Jan Ammann