Makara in Presov

  • christine mackara
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2007
      Hello Michael Mojher,
      I am so sorry, but I mispelled the name of the town. It's Alsoleszete, hungarian name of Korytne ? Your description of the tunnel and road, makes me want to get in the car and go there, but . . . that will remain a dream. It must be beautiful there in Slovakia

      Thank you again.
      Christine

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 25, 2007
        >>> Alsoleszete, hungarian name of Korytne ? <<<

        Alsóleszéte = Podolie, Slovakia. Shown as Leszete and Karitno on the
        1910 map, Nyitra Megye.
      • christine mackara
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
          Hi Martha,
          Re: your mesage from the 7. Oct
          Yes I would like to talk more about your husbands recollections. I tried to e-mail but I don't have your private e-mail.
          My adress is : christine1931@...
          Thank you, Christine

        • christine mackara
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
            Hi Helene Cincebeaux,

            I found a " Makarova in Presov" in Slovak Heritage & Folklore as a contact. Is the info and adress to send the $ still valid ? Maybe I could contact her. Does she live in this country or SK ?

            Christine

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
              HI CHRISTINE -

              The Makarova Listing is from an American who has
              Makarova roots in Presov.

              to get contact information it is $2 a listing or free
              for Slovak Heritage & Folklore Society International
              members

              glad to send a free sample copy of Slovakia - lots of
              tips and web sites each issue.

              helene
              Editor Slovakia and Slovak Pride

              --- christine mackara <christine1931@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Helene Cincebeaux,
              >
              > I found a " Makarova in Presov" in Slovak Heritage &
              > Folklore as a contact. Is the info and adress to
              > send the $ still valid ? Maybe I could contact her.
              > Does she live in this country or SK ?
              >
              > Christine

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • christine mackara
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
                In the marriage entry for the sister of our grandfather in 1878 in Presov , it gives the name of the groom : Szalay Mihaly. Underneath is : inas. What could that mean ?
                The original domicile is : Usz - Salgo', could that be Uzovsky Salgow ?
                The witnesses were Majcher Istvan and Peczinszky Janos.

                I thank you for any help you can give me

                Christine

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
                  Dear Christine,

                  Look at other entries on the page. If the grooms' names are followed by
                  their occupation, it is probably inas=valet or manservant.

                  Yes, it is Uzovsky Salgow. On the old map
                  (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg) it is called Pusztasalgo.

                  Janet

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
                    Dear Christine -

                    I think you are likely connected to Carole Novotni
                    who I helped find her Szalay family in Uz. Salgove a
                    number of years ago. Unfortunately Carole has passed
                    away but maybe her surnames would be of help to you -
                    contact me directly at helenezx@... if you want to
                    pursue this.

                    She had written several articles about finding her
                    family and had photos from the old country in issues
                    of Slovakia magazine published by the Slovak Heritage
                    & Folklore Society International - i am the editor of
                    Slovakia.

                    helene

                    wrote:

                    > In the marriage entry for the sister of our
                    > grandfather in 1878 in Presov , it gives the name of
                    > the groom : Szalay Mihaly. Underneath is : inas.
                    > What could that mean ?
                    > The original domicile is : Usz - Salgo', could that
                    > be Uzovsky Salgow ?
                    > The witnesses were Majcher Istvan and Peczinszky
                    > Janos.
                    >
                    > I thank you for any help you can give me
                    >
                    > Christine

                    > removed]

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • christine mackara
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
                      Thank you Janet,
                      Since everything is written in, I presume, Hungarian, and I can't read it, I am guessing the name is followed by the occupation. I would think "valet or grooms man" is correct, every little bit helps.
                      Sincerely, Christine