MAKARA in PRESOV

  • christine mackara
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007
      Hello,

      My name is Christine Mackara. I came to this country in 1953 from Germany.
      However, at this time I am researching my husbands family.
      Grandfather Stefan Makara,(he added the "c") came to this country in 1884 through Castle Garden, from Presov, SK. He was a shoemaker and settled in Philadelphia, Pa. Stephen (Stefan)was born 15. July 1861in Presov, died 7. November 1929 in Philadelphia,Pa.

      I am looking for the birthdate and place of his father, IOANNES/JAN MAKARA, born ca. 1815/20, he got married :
      widower 19. August 1850 to Maria Olsavszka in Presov. Jan died 21. December 1887 in Presov.

      In 1982 I wrote to and received from the Czechoslovak Embassy several records from the State Archive in Presov.
      Jan was a carpenter or wheelright, he married first Katarina Novakova, second Maria Olsavszka, birth of Andrej Makara, 7. December 1848, Maria Makara, 7. September 1851, Barbora Makara 29 November 1858, Stefan Makara, 15. July1861 and Sofia Makara 26. May 1867. Sofia also came to Philadelphia in 1884.
      Stephen Makara claims to be German and said his family came from the Alsace. So far I have seen nothing to support that claim.
      Just recently I was able to see the RC Church Records of Presov at the LDS Family History Center on film and found many entries for Makara. Most of them belonging to the Familie of Jan Makara. I probably missed a lot of info. though, since I can't read or speak the language. I also saw the films of the church in Secovce but the Makara's there don't seem to be our Makara's, as far as I can tell.
      Im AZ 1715 appears in Also'telesze'te, Nyitra, Korytne', SK , Martinus,Michael,and Georgius Makara.
      Could this be were Jan Makara's Family comes from ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

      Thank you,
      Christine

    • treimer@nycap.rr.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007
        Christine,

        Remember that in those days, the Czech authorities
        arbitrarily "slavicized" every name. In records issued after 1919, my
        greatgrandfather became a Matej, though he was his whole life a
        Matthias (German).

        Good luck with your research

        Thomas

        > My name is Christine Mackara. I came to this country in 1953 from
        > Germany.However, at this time I am researching my husbands family.
        > Grandfather Stefan Makara,(he added the "c") came to this country
        > in 1884 through Castle Garden, from Presov, SK. He was a
        > shoemaker and settled in Philadelphia, Pa. Stephen (Stefan)was
        > born 15. July 1861in Presov, died 7. November 1929 in
        Philadelphia,Pa.

        > I am looking for the birthdate and place of his father,
        > IOANNES/JAN MAKARA, born ca. 1815/20, he got married :
        > widower 19. August 1850 to Maria Olsavszka in Presov. Jan died
        > 21. December 1887 in Presov.
        >
        > In 1982 I wrote to and received from the Czechoslovak Embassy
        > several records from the State Archive in Presov.
        > Jan was a carpenter or wheelright, he married first Katarina
        > Novakova, second Maria Olsavszka, birth of Andrej Makara, 7.
        > December 1848, Maria Makara, 7. September 1851, Barbora Makara 29
        > November 1858, Stefan Makara, 15. July1861 and Sofia Makara 26.
        > May 1867. Sofia also came to Philadelphia in 1884.
        > Stephen Makara claims to be German and said his family came from
        > the Alsace. So far I have seen nothing to support that claim.
        > Just recently I was able to see the RC Church Records of Presov at
        > the LDS Family History Center on film and found many entries for
        > Makara. Most of them belonging to the Familie of Jan Makara. I
        > probably missed a lot of info. though, since I can't read or
        > speak the language. I also saw the films of the church in Secovce
        > but the Makara's there don't seem to be our Makara's, as far as I
        > can tell.
        > Im AZ 1715 appears in Also'telesze'te, Nyitra, Korytne', SK ,
        > Martinus,Michael,and Georgius Makara.
        > Could this be were Jan Makara's Family comes from ? Any help
        > would be greatly appreciated
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Christine

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007
          Christine,
          At the end of your posting you asked Nyitra and Korytne might be places where Jan might be from. Nyitra is Hungarian for Nitra. A city in west central Slovakia. Korytne is the name of two villages. One is near the Czech border west of Zilina. The other is not that far from Presov. It is on Highway E50/18 at the west end of a tunnel that just opened a couple of years ago. The tunnel is east of the town of Spisske Podhradie. Spis Castle is between Korytne and Spisske Podhradie.
          I tried to find a translation of telesze'te. It looks Hungarian. An online Hungarian had no such word. Hopefully, someone will give you a translation. Then you have a context for two places that are far from one another.
          Michael Mojher

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007
            Hi Michael:

            I noticed that you mentioned SPIS CASTLE. There is a new movie called "LAST
            LEGION" about a Roman legion at the end of the Roman Empire, and part of the
            movie was filmed at SPIS CASTLE. From what I understand, some artistic
            liberties were taken so while there are parts of the actual SPIS CASTLE filmed in
            the movie, other parts of the castle were made for the movie and not
            authentic. Roman legions had been in Slovakia during the time of Emperior Marcus
            Aurelius and went upon the HRON (GRANUS in Latin) river (where my paternal
            grandmother's family HRONEC ultimately comes from) and in TRENCIN where a stone
            inscription from a Roman Legion in the 2nd Century A.D. is left. In any
            event, anyone with ancestors in the Spis region might want to catch the movie to
            see some of the scenery.

            Best regards,

            David

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007
              David,
              Thanks for the movie info about Spis Castle.
              I have been there three times. Sadly most of it is ruins. It is the fourth largest castle complex in Europe. Most of it a large walled "pasture". Nonetheless, still impressive.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007
                Hi Michael:

                You mentioned that SPIS CASTLE was the fourth largest castle complex in
                Europe.
                What are the other three castles that are larger? I would be that PRAGUE
                CASTLE would be one of those, but I am not familiar with the two others. You
                piqued me curiosity, and now my curiosity has the best of me.

                Best regards,

                David

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007
                  Prague Castle complex is the largest in Europe.
                  There seems to be some argument our second and third. Malbork Castle Complex in Poland covers 42.5 acres. The Hradcany Castle Complex in the Czech Republic is trying to make the claim.
                  Some are debating which should be considered for the record; the castle building(s) alone or the grounds (complex) also.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 25, 2007
                    Thanks. Michael.

                    Best regards,

                    David

                  • Marilyn Hertenstein
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 25, 2007
                      We have a two older brothers in our church from with the name Makara (St.
                      Louis, Missouri). The next time I see them, I will ask them about where
                      their family came from, perhaps they are related.

                      Marilyn

                      _____