Re: More on Neumans from Banka

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 1999
      Dear Maura, Nicholas and List,

      I am a new subscriber to this list. My Slovak Dad grew up in Bridgeport. I
      have not yet figured out when his parents' families arrived but I think it
      was after 1913 on both sides. It would be interesting to make a list of all
      the Slovak families that lived there from 1900 to 1930, and see how many
      people remember the families. His family names in Connecticut are Vangor,
      Klinka, and Dubak, and he says that there were in-laws named Fabry, Chonko,
      and Supala.

      For the record, I am researching the surnames Vangor, Samko, Szabados, and
      Fedor from C~akanovce, Abov; and Klinka and Rachel from Liptovska Porubka,
      Liptov. We also have Dubak and Capko relatives but I don't yet know their
      ancestral villages.

      Andrea Vangor

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 1999
        Hi Andrea....

        You can research those arrivals relatively easily using the guide to NY
        arrivals on my Helpful HInts page.... more than likely they came into NY
        to go to Bridgeport.

        The name Fabry in your posting rang a bell with me, so I dug out my
        Mom's old address book from the 70's, and found this entry

        Fabry, Joseph and Olly
        65 Fayerweather Terrace
        Bridgeport

        I remember my Mom and her dad talking about the Fabry's, but don't know
        if they were related or just friends. You'll have to ask your Dad if he
        knows of the Silhavy's, Nechasek's and Polke's, the Polke's are my
        godparents who still run the funeral home on Fairfield Ave. Polke's is
        the "Slovak" Funeral home, so most were buried out of there.

        My grandmother was Irene Silhavy who married John McCarthy in Bridgeport
        in 1920. Her brothers Joseph and William (who had been Bela) were
        firemen, as was John McCarthy.
        My grandfather John McCarthy was also a founder of the Fayerweather
        Yacht Club, and since the Fabry's lived on Fayerweather Terrace its
        possible that is how my family knew the Fabry's.

        My mother died in 1991. Possibly your Dad can shed some light on
        this.... we may not be related, but it sounds like our families knew
        each other somehow!

        Maura

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24, 1999
          Thanks, Maura. I am all excited today because some of the microfilms
          arrived at the FHC and I am going over there this evening. But I do want to
          follow up on determining the arrival dates for my father's family, which I
          understand can also be done at the FHC --I will inquire about that tonight.

          I wonder if my relatives were buried out of your Polke Funeral home. It
          would make sense. To fill in more for you: My Dad's father was Andrew
          Vangor Sr., deceased. His parents were the immigrants. Janos (John) Vangor
          and his wife Barbara Fedorik (Borbala Fedor or Fedoryak). John Vangor had
          two sons, Andrew born in 1899 and John born in 1894. This son's birth
          certificate was re-issued in 1913 in Hungarian and the date was faked to
          make him five years younger. I have a copy of that interesting document.
          My theory is that they left Slovakia to keep their older son out of the
          Hungarian army on the eve of WWI. The family were fairly prosperous peasant
          farmers, and Janos had a brother Gyorgy who had seven children. SSDI showed
          several Vangors born in the 19th century who spent some time in Bridgeport.
          I think that my Dad was not told about the existence of other branches of
          the family, for some reason. He does remember being told that they were
          married into the Fabry, Chonko, and S~upala families, and seems to think
          that these people lived in the area.

          My Dad was an only child and his uncle John had three sons, Cornell, John
          (who came out to California and was the only one I knew) and Bill. All
          these cousins are deceased, but there children are still in the Fairfield
          area and have an electronics business. I have not contacted them yet to ask
          questions about the family history but plan to do so. My father is
          estranged from them because of problems with the cousins (but they are all
          dead -- so I will see what I can do with the survivors).

          Meanwhile, his mother Julia Klinka came to America some time between 1904
          when her younger sister Goldie was born, and 1918 when her half-sister
          Minnie Dubak was born. Rose Klinka nee Rachel came from Liptovska Porubka.
          Her husband Martin died in America, I assume, and she married Joseph Dubak.
          Her children by Martin included my grandmother Julia and great-aunt Goldie,
          Martin Klinka known as "Trickie" who became an alcoholic, and a boy named
          Rudolf. There is an interesting story about Rudolf, one that my Dad did not
          know. He was sent back to Slovakia because of an eye problem discovered at
          Ellis Island, presumably. He never immigrated, and his mother spent a lot
          of time in Slovakia until WWII. Rudolf had four sons, so I must have Klinka
          relatives over there. He was a freedom fighter during and after WWII.

          The Dubak children included Joseph, Minnie (my main informant until her
          death last year), and a couple of children who died young. Joseph's widow
          Ann is living and remembers some things. Her son Joe lives with her and I
          have asked him for help researching the family, especially the Dubak side.
          I have no information about their ancestral village, but do have his
          parent's names -- Paul Dubak and Alice Capko -- due to an erroneous entry on
          a death certificate. The form asked for the names of Rose Klinka Dubak's
          parents, and instead they wrote in her husband's parents' names. My
          great-aunt Minnie Dubak, who was unmarried, referred to "her" relatives in
          the area, so I think there must be Dubaks around somewhere although I did
          not find them with a People search. Perhaps they were females who married
          into another family.

          I hope this helps. It would be fun to find out that we connect up!

          Andrea