Fw: Re: [S-R] Seeking Advice

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2007
      Greg,

      I occasionally work by picking up autos that a dealer has bought at
      auction and deliver them to his business. Yesterday, I went to Flint,
      MI, among other places, and was handed an envelope containing cash for my
      expenses. I have been doing this off and on for about a year and my name
      was spelled "Burna" on the envelope. Just as long as they don't mispell
      my name on my paycheck. Of course, I have been dealing with this for 76
      years and will continue to deal with it until my obituary is published.
      All I am trying to say, is, that it m akes about as much difference to me
      as _________________________. (Supply your own metaphor for
      inconsequential sayings).

      I have a t-shirt with CSI printed on it. Underneath is the explanation
      of the letters (Can't Stand Idiots). I have found, over the years, that
      there are a hell of a lot of them!

      Bill Brna
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25, 2007
        Bill,

        I appreciate your sharing the way you've
        encountered folks who don't mind displaying their
        ignorance.

        My son is a William, by the way.

        I've tried to teach him the value of education, and
        he's accepted that school is for him. He's become a
        great student and they've given him a Class award at
        his elementary school...it's called the
        "Fantastic Kid" award for his attitude toward the
        teachers and others.

        Like any dad, I'd like to see him become a good
        man...he seems like he should be a teacher in a way.
        I just hope the world can become less filled with
        those who are, in fact, idiots. It's something.
        Where I used to be employed so much was made about the
        achievements of those who over a very long period of
        time,have done well as state employees. The praise
        and adulation is endless for those who succeed in this
        sphere. One person who sticks out was the first afro
        american director of a NC school for those with mental
        retardation. He was promoted to become the state
        director of mental health bypassing many with medical
        degrees to head up a plan to change mental health in
        NC. He was rarely criticized for the problems the
        plan encountered because,many say,he is black. So he
        took on this job, and gave a swan song to those who
        worked with him, and it all seemed as if he was going
        to be able to do great things....well, for all that
        was said, there hasn't been alot accomplished.

        If anyone with a foreign sounding name was asked
        to fill the role, and I doubt one would be so
        appointed, he would have been dismissed and blamed for
        any kind of mess. Not for any other reason than,
        people here are considered transplants who screw
        things up because they are not from NC

        Is the effort of those from other areas
        appreciated..not hardly and those with our last names
        are viewed with distrust while others who are from NC
        are praised even in the face of blatant incompetence.

        I have my work cut out for me raising my little
        slovak son here in the South.

        Take Care,

        Greg Majercik

        === message truncated ===