Re: [S-R] Seeking Advice

  • Jody Gonda
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 21, 2007
      Greg,

      I noticed that you mentioned working at IBM. Do you work for IBM too? My husband and I do, and I looked up Majercik and there are 3 employees by that name, 2 who are in Slovakia!

      gregory majercik <gmajercik@...> wrote:
      Thank you for sharing the information.

      It's always been the case that I've poorly understood
      why my last name seemed to give certain folks the
      right to form an opinion. I really feel that Slovaks
      as well as eastern europeans deserve better. I
      recently sent a e-mail to the author of the book,
      "Nickel and Dimed", Mrs. Barabar Ehrenreich for
      describing a Czech worker in a restaurant as a typical
      low wage worker needing to bogart cigarettes from
      waitresses. I just wanted to know from her why she
      wanted to use his nationality. My family is
      oringinaly from a area in NY which grew on the basis
      of Slovak labor. Endicott-Johnson shoes and IBM at
      it's oringial site in Endicott, NY is the nucleus of
      where my family had "Slovak Roots" (pardon the pun)
      In any event, I drew from those experiences, but in NJ
      there were numerous instances of seeing my father
      slighted for being who he was. Sometimes even by
      those who I expected to treat him with respect but
      only found hurtful ways to criticize. The word
      "bohunk" was a term of derision which I remember all
      too well, and I see that it's use is something you've
      heard. I went to Rutgers and I attended a law school
      (for children of immigrants) but only until I couldn't
      afford the tuition with classes taught, generally by
      men who were not white anglo protestant, but jewish,
      Wittenberg, Heyman, Sabin, were the roster of
      professors who taught my first year section. Am I
      sensitive to the issue? Yes. I appreciate your
      sharing your views.
      You were right in using Ma-yer-chik. I was
      taught to pronounce my last name "Mayor-sic"
      My son has always felt the proper way to say the name
      is "Mayor-sic." I can't tell you how that makes me
      feel to hear him say his surname the way I was raised
      to pronounce it.

      Gregory Majercik

      Jody