Czech/German names?

  • Mark Carter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2000
      Hi everyone,

      I'm new to this list but not new to geneaology in general & I have a couple of questions. I'm working on my wife's family now & I have to admit to being totally lost. They are Bohemian, but I have no idea exactly where they are from. The line I'm currently working on looks like this;

      FRANK MARTINES b. in Bohemia, no other info on him. His daughter was ROSE MARTINES (b. Dec. 13, 1887 d. July 24, 1949) who m. JAMES TRISKA (no info on James other than he died before 1949). This all comes from the death certificate of Rose, which we still have. James & Rose had a son GEORGE TRISKA, whom I have no info on. George m. AMALIA BAUER on May 25, 1949 & had 2 daughters, LINDA TRISKA & DONNA TRISKA, both still living (but have no info to offer beyond what I already have).

      If anyone has any more info on this Martines or Triska line please let me know. Does anyone know if Martines is even a Bohemian name? It looks odd to me but the death cert. clearly says Frank Martines was born in Bohemia. I found other obituaries in Amalia's possesions that mentioned the names Martiner & Martinez, so they may be variations of the same name. I've also found mention of a group called "The Palacky Lodge" which family members & friends in Chicago belonged to. Does anyone have any info about this lodge? I assume it's mainly made up of Czechs but I don't know.

      Thanks in advance;