Re: [S-R] Seeking Advice

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 18 7:45 AM
      Hi Gregory:

      Your surname MAJERCIK is composed of two part MAJER (which comes from the
      Latin MAIOR meaning "major" or "greater") and the Slovak diminutive suffix
      -CIK. If you look up the root MAJER in ANCESTRY.COM, you will find several
      meanings. I find the surnames from Slovakia to be very fascinating when we know
      their meaning.

      Best regards,

      David

    • MA Bensh
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 28 9:08 AM
        Never heard of Standard Brands, but I guess it is possible. I know for a fact that my grandfather worked as a nightwatchman for Standard Oil. There were several news articles about his death in an accident at the company in 1935.

        nhasior@... wrote:
        In a message dated 8/27/2007 5:55:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        mabensh@... writes:

        Didn't know that Standard Oil was also in Passaic. My mom's Slovak family
        was in Bayonne, NJ, and many of them worked for Standard Oil there. Since it
        was a port city, there were lots of shipyards there and many factories to
        assist with the import of oil. In fact, several family members worked in the
        barrel factory there.

        Could it have been Standard Brands as well??
        Noreen