one last ps on NY arrivals

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2000
      By the way, the peak period of immigration through NY was not the later
      years, it was 1847-1897, the time of mass European immigration and the
      Irish famine. Those years are not indexed on microfilm, to search them
      you must know the date of arrival, or at least the month, or you must
      search the whole year. I know... it took me 1 1/2 years to find my Irish
      gr/grandmothers arrival in 1885 just reading ships from Ireland, I
      didn't even look at the German or Spanish ones. But I did find her
      finally.

      Also, what you may be referring to as Ellis Island could actually have
      been either Castle Garden , or people just being left off on a wharf in
      Manhattan depending on what year you are talking about. There is a
      detailed history of the port of NY on my Hints page, url below.