Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Ellis Island Database of NYC Arrivals Update

  • Kathleen Duvall
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2000
      > In 2001 ,visitors to the Ellis Island Immigration Museum will be able
      > to search this database to find the ship manifests their relatives
      > arrived on and get a copy of the record.>

      This is wonderful information! I'm printing it out for reference as I
      research the ships (and locations) my ancestors arrived on. I have
      Welsh great-grandparents who arrived in the late 1800s as well as my
      Hungarian grandmother who arrived in 1911.

      As far as travelling steerage, family information about the Welsh
      relatives was that the ship swayed so much that my g-g-grandmother
      tied the children together and to her so they wouldn't fall into the water!

      Anyway, do you know if the Ellis Island information will also be
      available offsite? Or only available to those actually visiting the
      museum?

      Thanks so much!

      Kathleen in Florida
      researching GALEK, HUTZMAN