Please Vote for a New Moderator - 2nd Notice

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 8, 2007
      FOR THOSE WHO MAY HAVE MISSED THE FIRST NOTICE ON MONDAY 8/6:

      SLOVAK-ROOTS group:

      Please vote for one individual to become the new list owner and primary
      moderator.

      Poll closes on Monday, August 20, 2007 at 6:00pm Eastern Daylight Time.

      Note: As you know Maura Petzolt, our founder and list owner has not been
      located since at least April, 2007, prompting the need for this election.
      Yahoogroups requires an election in order to replace the list owner.

      Read the list message archives for a historical synopsis of the need
      and the
      steps taken to locate her.
      A vote for Maura is a vote for status quo: without a moderator/owner,
      we have
      no ability to add new members, delete or ban members or moderate off-topic
      discussions.
      Should Maura not be re-elected, she will remain as a moderator unless
      she so
      declines.

      No new nominations can be accepted now that the poll is open.
      Results will be displayed during the election.
      While you have only one vote, you can change your vote while the polls are
      open.
      Your identity will not be divulged.

      Feel free to discuss this election in the forum.

      Thank you.

      o Andrea Vangor
      o Bill Tarkulich
      o Caye Caswick
      o Frank Plichta
      o Maura Petzolt
      o Ray Slack

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • Jan Ammann
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 8, 2007
        Hello....

        Well, I went to Yahoo Home page for this group and voted. I hope we have a "grand turnout".

        I am flying to Györ Hungary for a two week stay starting tomorrow morning.. I am staying at a nice hotel in the historical downtown district.......in the neighborhood of the National Theatre. I believe the River Duna is just a nice walk from the hotel. And three of the Döry families live close by.

        They have dreamed up a very nice itinerary.........will go to Mosonmagyaróvár. This is a small village where the Habsburg family has a crypt. I am also going to Kapuvár which is where the von Berg family lived in the 1800's. They had a large mill and were very affluent and played a big part in the agricultural economy of that area..

        I am also going to Budapest for a day or two (may make the Archivs) and perhaps a ride into Romania. The Döry family was of the nobility in the early days of Hungary. They had 18 mansions, castles, farms, etc according to Zsolt (cousin). I plan to photograph all of them in the coming years. However, on this trip we are going to Balatonfured, Girincs, Mihalyi, and Zomba.............four of the former Döry homes.

        I am flying from IAH to Amsterdam and then to Vienna where I will be picked up by the brothers. It is about a one hour drive to Györ. And the exciting news is that one of the brothers will be getting married on August 21 and so I will take a lot of pics and perhaps do a report on that if it proves to be interesting.

        I will miss this forum and hope we have a new moderator elected by the time I get back..........smile. Please wish me luck and a safe journey.....

        Jan Ammann
        From a very, very, very hot Texas..........wheeeee!!!!

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 8, 2007
          Jan,
          Have a Grrrreat trip; we'll be thinking of (and envious of) you!
          Do us a favor, if you have a minute, take a photo of the archives -
          inside and out. I've never been, and would like to have an image in
          my mind of the place (I did see an outside photo once.)
          Enjoy,
          Bill
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jan Ammann <janammann@...> wrote:

          > Hello....
          >
          > Well, I went to Yahoo Home page for this group and voted. I hope
          we have a "grand turnout".

          > I am flying to Györ Hungary for a two week stay starting tomorrow
          morning.. I am staying at a nice hotel in the historical downtown
          district.......in the neighborhood of the National Theatre. I believe
          the River Duna is just a nice walk from the hotel. And three of the
          Döry families live close by.

          > They have dreamed up a very nice itinerary.........will go to
          Mosonmagyaróvár. This is a small village where the Habsburg family
          has a crypt. I am also going to Kapuvár which is where the von Berg
          family lived in the 1800's. They had a large mill and were very
          affluent and played a big part in the agricultural economy of that area..

          > I am also going to Budapest for a day or two (may make the
          Archivs) and perhaps a ride into Romania. The Döry family was of the
          nobility in the early days of Hungary. They had 18 mansions, castles,
          farms, etc according to Zsolt (cousin). I plan to photograph all of
          them in the coming years. However, on this trip we are going to
          Balatonfured, Girincs, Mihalyi, and Zomba.............four of the
          former Döry homes.

          > I am flying from IAH to Amsterdam and then to Vienna where I will
          be picked up by the brothers. It is about a one hour drive to Györ.
          And the exciting news is that one of the brothers will be getting
          married on August 21 and so I will take a lot of pics and perhaps do a
          report on that if it proves to be interesting.

          > I will miss this forum and hope we have a new moderator elected by
          the time I get back..........smile. Please wish me luck and a safe
          journey.....

          > Jan Ammann
          > From a very, very, very hot Texas..........wheeeee!!!!

        • Jan Ammann
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 8, 2007
            Thanks Bill for your good words........and btw thanks for all the great work you have done on this Forum. I will certainly try and get those photos for you. I have the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide for Budapest...........wow.......what architecture......what history.

            DK is coming out this fall with a guide to all of Hungary. I guess Hugarian history is spreading around Europe......and of course, a lot of them now live in Slovakia.....hummmm........Slovak Republic.....Slovenská republika......

            Perhaps we are all fnally becoming "trendy".............smile.

            Jan

            Jan,
            Have a Grrrreat trip; we'll be thinking of (and envious of) you!
            Do us a favor, if you have a minute, take a photo of the archives -
            inside and out. I've never been, and would like to have an image in
            my mind of the place (I did see an outside photo once.)
            Enjoy,
            Bill
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jan Ammann <janammann@...> wrote:

            > Hello....
            >
            > Well, I went to Yahoo Home page for this group and voted. I hope
            we have a "grand turnout".

            > I am flying to Györ Hungary for a two week stay starting tomorrow
            morning.. I am staying at a nice hotel in the historical downtown
            district.......in the neighborhood of the National Theatre. I believe
            the River Duna is just a nice walk from the hotel. And three of the
            Döry families live close by.

            > They have dreamed up a very nice itinerary.........will go to
            Mosonmagyaróvár. This is a small village where the Habsburg family
            has a crypt. I am also going to Kapuvár which is where the von Berg
            family lived in the 1800's. They had a large mill and were very
            affluent and played a big part in the agricultural economy of that area..

            > I am also going to Budapest for a day or two (may make the
            Archivs) and perhaps a ride into Romania. The Döry family was of the
            nobility in the early days of Hungary. They had 18 mansions, castles,
            farms, etc according to Zsolt (cousin). I plan to photograph all of
            them in the coming years. However, on this trip we are going to
            Balatonfured, Girincs, Mihalyi, and Zomba.............four of the
            former Döry homes.

            > I am flying from IAH to Amsterdam and then to Vienna where I will
            be picked up by the brothers. It is about a one hour drive to Györ.
            And the exciting news is that one of the brothers will be getting
            married on August 21 and so I will take a lot of pics and perhaps do a
            report on that if it proves to be interesting.

            > I will miss this forum and hope we have a new moderator elected by
            the time I get back..........smile. Please wish me luck and a safe
            journey.....

            > Jan Ammann
            > From a very, very, very hot Texas..........wheeeee!!!!

          • Paul Guzowski
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 9, 2007
              Hi Jan et al...
              Gyor, HU, is a nice city that I'm sure you'll enjoy. I went there
              twice on visits when I was living/working in Budapest. Regarding the
              Duna river, runs about 12-13km (about 8 miles) north of Gyor. The Rábca
              and Mosoni-Duna run through Gyor. While in Gyor, you will also be less
              than an hour by train from Bratislava which would make it a nice day
              trip, too.
              If you get to Budapest, I'm sure you will be as awestruck as I was by
              the architecture there. If you have limited time there, I'd try to see
              the Castle District on the Buda side as well as St Stephen's Cathedral,
              the Parliament Building, and Heroes Square on the Pest Side. If you
              have a little more time, the Opera House tour, Terror Museum, Central
              Market, and Vaci Utca (pedestrian zone) are also worthwhile. During
              this hot August weather, it might also be useful to know that there are
              two great outdoor pools to take advantage of, one on Margaret Island
              which is an oasis in the middle of the Danube and the other behind the
              Gellert Hotel on the Buda side.
              Have a great trip!

              Paul in Bratislava
              Homebase in Carlisle, PA, USA
            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 9, 2007
                If you bump into an internet cafe -- please do give us
                a quickie--fastie updatie -- thanks and safe fun
                travels, Jan.

                Caye

                --- Jan Ammann <janammann@...> wrote:

                > Hello....
                >
                > Well, I went to Yahoo Home page for this group and
                > voted. I hope we have a "grand turnout".
                >
                > I am flying to Györ Hungary for a two week stay
                > starting tomorrow morning.. I am staying at a nice
                > hotel in the historical downtown district.......in
                > the neighborhood of the National Theatre. I believe
                > the River Duna is just a nice walk from the hotel.
                > And three of the Döry families live close by.
                >
                > They have dreamed up a very nice
                > itinerary.........will go to Mosonmagyaróvár. This
                > is a small village where the Habsburg family has a
                > crypt. I am also going to Kapuvár which is where
                > the von Berg family lived in the 1800's. They had a
                > large mill and were very affluent and played a big
                > part in the agricultural economy of that area..
                >
                > I am also going to Budapest for a day or two (may
                > make the Archivs) and perhaps a ride into Romania.
                > The Döry family was of the nobility in the early
                > days of Hungary. They had 18 mansions, castles,
                > farms, etc according to Zsolt (cousin). I plan to
                > photograph all of them in the coming years.
                > However, on this trip we are going to Balatonfured,
                > Girincs, Mihalyi, and Zomba.............four of the
                > former Döry homes.
                >
                > I am flying from IAH to Amsterdam and then to
                > Vienna where I will be picked up by the brothers.
                > It is about a one hour drive to Györ. And the
                > exciting news is that one of the brothers will be
                > getting married on August 21 and so I will take a
                > lot of pics and perhaps do a report on that if it
                > proves to be interesting.
                >
                > I will miss this forum and hope we have a new
                > moderator elected by the time I get
                > back..........smile. Please wish me luck and a safe
                > journey.....
                >
                > Jan Ammann
                > From a very, very, very hot
                > Texas..........wheeeee!!!!

                > removed]

                http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
              • Ann Fisher

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 12, 2007
                    Hello All:

                    I am adding my vote. I am not as useful to others in this group as I am a real newbie - however, I would not know what I know without all of you.

                    First vote: Bill Tarkulich

                    Back-up:
                    o Andrea Vangor
                    o Caye Caswick
                    o Frank Plichta

                    Thanks and good luck to all

                    Deb Strezenec

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 12, 2007
                      HI all,
                      Though I'm sure all the candidates are good, I'll put in a vote for the ones
                      I see most active and who have responded to my postings.

                      Bill Tarkulich is first vote

                      DAniel Wachtenheim

                      <BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
                      http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>

                    • SDinthevalley@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 13, 2007
                        Hi All,
                        I'm a member that basically listens to everyone else, not much for words. I
                        however, would like to cast my vote for Bill Tarkulich.
                        Sharon Danko

                      • Jan Ammann
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                          Hello everyone........

                          Well, words cannot describe the wonderful and exciting time I had in Hungary. Two weeks of fun-filled and informative days. Gyor was my base and I stayed in a nice hotel just a couple of blocks from the historic city center. I was able to walk many, many streets and even managed to get to the Rabca and Mosoni-Duna River (thanks for the correction Paul) as it was about 8 blocks or so from the hotel. I shopped at an antique fair which was just about 2 blocks from the river.

                          However, the Dory family picked me up every day or I walked to meet them. I visited many homes where the family prepared wonderful food and gifts for me. I rode on a train to Sopron and did spend one day in Budapest. I attended a traditional Hungarian wedding and if there is some interest in that, I will write it up and post it here..........Wow!!!!

                          Bill T.............if you remember you asked me to take a picture of the exterior of the Hungarian Archiv and also the inside. Well, I did accomplish 1/2 or your request. But guess what???????????? The Archiv was closed..........sigh.........I do believe they must know when one of us is coming for research and just "take off". They did open the last two days I was there but other events had been planned for me.

                          Ang guess what Bill???? I found a Hungarian who had a welcoming sign for you. (Smiling here.......Zsolt (one of the Dory cousins) held up a sign I made and so you have been "formally welcomed".) We did get inside the door but just made the foyer and up the three/four steps when a guard appeared. He, of course, told us the Archiv was closed. I asked if I could take some photos in the foyer area and the bookcases I could see in the upper level.

                          He informed me "no"..........said that they did have a day when one could come and take pictures..............

                          And a side note to Frank Plichta...........I did have all your info written down and was ready to do some research for you but I guess you can now see why I could not do that. And I am now aware of the Archiv's in Gyor which I will visit next time.

                          I visited some great villages...........Mosonmagyarovar, Sopron being two of them. I saw some great churches and museums. I was surprised that the terrain looks a lot like Texas where I live.

                          I did have a somewhat "scary incident" happen to me in Budapest at one of the flea markets. A dealer there became somewhat excited (too long of a story to post here). He ran after Zsolt and I and grabbed my purse and the strap and hollered "I will take your passport and credit cards"............Well, I held onto my purse and Zsolt was inbetween the two of us and also held onto the strap. We finally got free and went on our way.

                          I did enjoy the historic Castle District and the Fisherman's Bastion where you could see the Danube with a wonderous view. I tossed some forints into the case of a man playing a violin and because I guess it was more than he normally got, he asked Zsolt to ask me what I would like to hear and he played a song for me with a lot of people watching and smiling.

                          Bill.........I will send you the pics later on this week. I am still unpacking and hoping to put some of the antiques I purchased at the shop where I am a dealer.

                          I did photograph pages of the Dory family bible which go back to the early 1800's........and some birth and death certificates. I will print them for the family and make a small booklet for them. Also visited the cemeteries and was most impressed by the beautiful stone/marble markers.

                          All in all it was the trip of a lifetime. Although it was somewhat hot at times I did not suffer. The morning were quite cool and so were the evenings. However, I did struggle to be understood when I was not with the family. Very few people speak English there. And I will be going back. But also glad to be back home.

                          Jan

                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                            Sounds fab Jan -- of COURSE we'd love to hear about
                            the wedding -- post photos too!!!

                            Caye

                            Need a vacation? Get great deals
                            to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                            http://travel.yahoo.com/
                          • Frank R. Plichta
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                              Jan,

                              Thanks for trying.

                              You know what you have done, don't you? You have made it necessary for me
                              to make the trip myself. LOL! That's OK. But it will have to wait.

                              Driving from Virginia to Alaska is on my schedule for 8 weeks next summer.
                              So Hungary and a trip to the Budapest archives will need to wait until 2009.
                              Now that I have retired, I have to limit myself to one major trip per year.

                              I did find the Austro-Hungarian military unit that my Grandfather served in
                              WWI. The Vienna Archives told me that my GF's military record would be
                              available in Budapest.

                              Funny thing is that when I was there in March 2006 the archives was also
                              closed.

                              Thanks again.

                              Frank Plichta

                              Galax, Virginia

                              "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                                Thanks Jan!

                                I love and hate returning from Europe. There is so much new information,
                                stories to tell and experiences bursting to come out, but wish I could have
                                stayed another month, but are entirely jet-lagged exhausted and behind in
                                one's obligations.

                                I wish we had vacation allotments the way many European nations do.

                                We will wait patiently (but anxiously) for details to emerge. Get some
                                rest!

                                Welcome home (or is it 2nd home :)

                                Bill
                              • Jan Ammann
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                                  Hi Bill...............I am really lucky in that jet-lag has never bothered me either coming or going. So that is a big plus!! I have already worked on Monday and will work this coming Saturday at the Antique Shop.

                                  Yes.............the Europeans do have a lot more time off but I have often wondered if they work and have a salary and if that salary continues while they are off. I saw that most of the businesses in all the towns and villages I went to were open for business. I think they know "we are coming"..............smile. It was the government or archiv buildings which seem to be closed.

                                  I am going to send your "offical Budapest" photos as soon as I sign off here. And I do need to sit down and write up my travel. I do believe I will describe the traditional Hungarian wedding in a separate post.

                                  This is my home.......bluebonnet country in Texas......Hungary is certainly becoming my second home. The language is what is so maddening. I have learned some but without family with you it is a struggle.

                                • david1law@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                                    Hi Jan:

                                    It sounds like you had an exciting trip to Slovakia and Hungary. I noticed
                                    that you mentioned the village of MOSONMAGYAROVAR ("Old Castle of the Magyars
                                    in Moson"), and was curious if there were any remaining signs from the time
                                    of the Romans when it was a Roman outpost called AD FLEXUM. When you get a
                                    chance, I would love to hear more about your trip, and I believe that a lot of
                                    others would also.

                                    Best regards,

                                    David

                                  • Jan Ammann