Re: [S-R] Zemplin - an overview

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
      Hi June:

      I saw both KALMAN KOLINA and JANOS KOLINA from EPERJES. If you track down
      the records for both of them, you will see that they both arrived in the U.S.
      on January 18, 1900, but appear to be on separate manifests. JANOS KOLINA
      appears to have traveled with FERENC HORNYAK as both of their records indicate
      that they were from EPERJES, and both were going to N.Y. JANOS KOLINA was
      going to stay with an uncle, and FERENC HORNYAK was going to stay with a
      cousin. Whether they were just friends or related is an interesting question.
      KALMAN KOLINA was going to stay with a cousin in N.Y. It may have been (very
      probable) the same person who was the uncle of JANOS KOLINA.

      The place to start digging in Slovakia would definitely be PRESOV (EPERJES).
      With at least two names, KALMAN KOLINA and JANOS KOLINA and their
      respective years of birth list in the Ellis Island records (circa 1869 and 1882).
      This information will also help you to confirm and corroborate any information
      that you find in the church records.

      I would also keep a look out for any references to the village of KISSZEBEN
      (SABINOV), as there was an ANDRAS KOLINA who immigrated to the U.S. in 1906.
      It is a village outside of PRESOV (EPERJES) and north of VELKY SARIS along
      the TORYSA river.
      When I was searching for my grandfather's record and having a hard time
      finding it, I did a survey of the Ellis Island records (102 for BALOGA) and
      tracked down all of them, and looked for the current name of each of the villages.
      Ultimately, when I did find his record under a different spelling, and then
      found his village of origin, I found that when I looked back to the Ellis
      Island survey that I did, most of his relatives were in a cluster of village in
      the SPIS and SARIS region (the SARIS highlands to BRANISKO mountain).

      I hope this helps a little.

      Best regards,

      David

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
        Hi again June:

        If you take a look for HARKABUSZ in the Ellis Island database, you will find
        an ANDRAS HARKABUSZ from NAGY SAROS, and a JOSZEF HARKABUSZ from EPERJES
        (spelled EPEYES), which as you know is now know as PRESOV. I would keep this
        information in the back of your mind while you do your primary research, and if
        you find that there is additional information which corroborates the
        records, then you can it down at the appropriate time.

        Best regards,

        David

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
          >>> I havent looked at all on EI for Harkabusz.<<<

          Type Harkab into the Morse front end for EI and you find 38 listings.
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
            >>> I havent looked at all on EI for Harkabusz. <<<

            Here are the phone listings in area code 051.

            Harkabusová Terézia,T.Ševc'enka 2, Prešov
            Harkabusová Helena,Kendice 155, Kendice
            Harkabus Jozef,Kendice 354, Kendice
            Harkabus Ladislav,Košická 99, Kendice
            Harkabus Rudolf,Nižná 222, Kendice
            Harkabus Anton,Lipovce 48, Lipovce
            Harkabus Jozef,Chminianske Jakubovany 103
            Harkabus Jozef,Valkovská 19, Solivar
          • jenna-m
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
              Hi June. This is a real long-shot, but my mother's best friend growing up [in Reading, PA] was an "Anna KAlina." My mom's parents were from the Presov region as were, I think, many in their church community. It may be worth a phone call or letter to to the St. Cyril and Methodius parish in Reading to see if there is any connection with the names you are searching.

              Good luck.
              Jenna

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
                Hi Jenna,

                thanks for the info. I was doing some searching lastnight for Kolina and did find an Anna Kolina which came from Regete with two small children. seems she was going to meet up with her husband in Port chester ny. I need to find out who her husband was. I am finding alot of Kolinas which went to Pa and Chicago areas. My family was in Ny, well atleast all that I ever knew. I guess that doesnt mean that other relations to my grandfather went elsewhere.
                So is this two churches that you are saying? St Cyril in Reading and Methodius Parish another?
                I guess I would just ask if they have any families with the Kolina name still in the parish?

                thanks for the long-shot, you never know! My surname is not all that common so it could be a really good chance of connections. Do you know if any of the family is still living?

                June

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
                  June:

                  Sts. Cyril and Methodius is "one" [Roman Catholic] parish.451 South 6th Street in Reading, PA. [phone 610-373-0627].My grandfather helped raised funds to build the church as I guess many immigrants did in trying to "reconstruct" and continue parts of their [old] world as something to hold on to in times of great change in a new and foreign environment.

                  My mother is [now] 92...her friend that she went to elementary and junior level school was about the same age. She was maid of honor at her wedding. Think they must've been about the same age. Anna Kalina never married...and became a caretaker for her aging mother. She did, however, have a couple of brothers.
                  Haven't lived in the Reading area for many many years...so don't know alot more.

                  If you make plans to visit the Presov region, let me know if you'd like a travelling buddy [smile].
                  Best,