Re: [S-R] Zemplin - an overview

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
      All of that information thanks! I guess I just havent been looking in the right places. I had the distance down but nothing else. Doesnt look like any of my surnames are in there. My surnames are, "Teriakovce" Kolina. "Ondrasovce" Harkabusz. "Presov" Kolina. these are my fathers side, His father and grandparents.

      On my fathers mothers side I am still awaiting from Homeland Security on her Immigration papers. I put in for the fourth time and hopefully it will be right this time. This has been a six year project on my grandmothers side. Its been almost a year now since I sent off and they told me that they did find information but now just waiting the process. I think she came from Munkacs but have never confirmed that for sure.

      My personal e-mail is Junemckee@....

      Thanks again,
      June

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
        Hi June:

        Did your ancestors come through Ellis Island? If so, it is possible to
        search the Ellis Island database. I recommend the one-stop Ellis Island search
        engine at _www.stevemorse.org_ (http://www.stevemorse.org) . I did see at
        least one KOLINA from the PRESOV (EPERJES) area, as well as HARKABUSZ. One of
        the tricks to searching is to use less letter such as HARKAB* so as to yield
        more potential results and then narrow it down. It often catches the variants
        in spellings. Also, it is also recommended to search phonetically as there
        can be other variants in spelling. What are the full names of your ancestors
        who came through Ellis Island? I would be happy to look in the Ellis Island
        database to see if I can find them. The important thing is to get the
        correct village of origin, otherwise, you may be find someone with a similar first
        name and surname but be off on a wild goose chase. One thing to keep in
        mind is that the village of origin may also be the last place of residence where
        your ancestors lived, and not where they were born or got married. When I
        initially started researching my paternal grandparents, I looked in the
        records of SPISSKE VLACHY (SZEPES OLASZI) and struck out, even though I had been
        told and several Ellis Island records confirmed that my grandparents and my
        aunt MARIA BALOGA had lived there. After I struck out, I checked with my
        parents and my mother looked through some old papers that she had and found a copy
        of my aunt's baptismal certificate. My aunt had been born in SPISSKE VLACHY
        but at a later time frame than the records available for searching, and on
        her baptismal certificate, it indicated my grandparents places of origin -- my
        grandfather had been from HRISOVCE (HRISSOC) a nearby village, but my
        grandmother had been SMOKOVCE (a variant of STARY SMOKOVEC). I was able to
        ultimately track the records down and obtained a watershed of information. I would
        recommend that you double check old photographs, records, letters, bibles,
        etc. for clues and to ask other relatives again what they remembered.
        Sometimes, all it takes is one good clue.

        Best regards,

        David

      • June McKee
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
          Hi David,

          Actually I did find my grandfather Jozsef Kolina on Ellis Island but it was mispelled as Kulina. I am pretty sure that this one is my grandfather because the year of immg of 1902 is the year he used on the 1910 census. Also Eferics as it is on the EI looks to me to just me mispelled for Epjeres. He was a butcher and occupation is also looks to be a butcher on the EI.
          In 1900 there is a Kalman Kolina and I believe that one is his brother Colomus. I am trying at this time to track down his brother Kalman hoping that there will be family there but cant seem to find him on any census. I do know that he was living in Ny at the time my father was small in the 1920's. After that I dont know and dont know if he ever had any children. Ido know that he was married as my father told me that much. Unfortunatly there is no family that has any information on my fathers side that I can talk to anymore. None of my cousins, and there are many in Ny are not into caring or helping me with the research. I have tried prying information out of them and get no help at all. I wish I would have asked even more question when my dad was still alive. I did get quite abit from him so that was good. There are no pictures of anyone beyond my dad except one or two of his parents and sibblings that I have. I do have a cousin that I found out has my grandmothers bible and she was going go look at it and see if there was any information in it for me but that has been over a year of trying to get her to do that. I am not close at all with this cousin and I call her every once in awhile to remind her but I am starting to feel like she is avoiding me. Maybe one of these days she will look at the bible for me. Humm time to drop her a line I guess.
          I havent looked at all on EI for Harkabusz. It was my g-gm maiden name and I didnt really even think to look for that one because I dont think that anyone immig. Well guess that you never know. I know for sure that my g-grandparents did not immg. and dont know yet the names of their sibblings to know if any of them did come over.

          Thanks for taking a look at EI and I will take a look at the Harkabusz too. Oh yes What was the Kolina that you seen?

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
            Hi June:

            I saw both KALMAN KOLINA and JANOS KOLINA from EPERJES. If you track down
            the records for both of them, you will see that they both arrived in the U.S.
            on January 18, 1900, but appear to be on separate manifests. JANOS KOLINA
            appears to have traveled with FERENC HORNYAK as both of their records indicate
            that they were from EPERJES, and both were going to N.Y. JANOS KOLINA was
            going to stay with an uncle, and FERENC HORNYAK was going to stay with a
            cousin. Whether they were just friends or related is an interesting question.
            KALMAN KOLINA was going to stay with a cousin in N.Y. It may have been (very
            probable) the same person who was the uncle of JANOS KOLINA.

            The place to start digging in Slovakia would definitely be PRESOV (EPERJES).
            With at least two names, KALMAN KOLINA and JANOS KOLINA and their
            respective years of birth list in the Ellis Island records (circa 1869 and 1882).
            This information will also help you to confirm and corroborate any information
            that you find in the church records.

            I would also keep a look out for any references to the village of KISSZEBEN
            (SABINOV), as there was an ANDRAS KOLINA who immigrated to the U.S. in 1906.
            It is a village outside of PRESOV (EPERJES) and north of VELKY SARIS along
            the TORYSA river.
            When I was searching for my grandfather's record and having a hard time
            finding it, I did a survey of the Ellis Island records (102 for BALOGA) and
            tracked down all of them, and looked for the current name of each of the villages.
            Ultimately, when I did find his record under a different spelling, and then
            found his village of origin, I found that when I looked back to the Ellis
            Island survey that I did, most of his relatives were in a cluster of village in
            the SPIS and SARIS region (the SARIS highlands to BRANISKO mountain).

            I hope this helps a little.

            Best regards,

            David

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
              Hi again June:

              If you take a look for HARKABUSZ in the Ellis Island database, you will find
              an ANDRAS HARKABUSZ from NAGY SAROS, and a JOSZEF HARKABUSZ from EPERJES
              (spelled EPEYES), which as you know is now know as PRESOV. I would keep this
              information in the back of your mind while you do your primary research, and if
              you find that there is additional information which corroborates the
              records, then you can it down at the appropriate time.

              Best regards,

              David

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
                >>> I havent looked at all on EI for Harkabusz.<<<

                Type Harkab into the Morse front end for EI and you find 38 listings.
              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
                  >>> I havent looked at all on EI for Harkabusz. <<<

                  Here are the phone listings in area code 051.

                  Harkabusová Terézia,T.Ševc'enka 2, Prešov
                  Harkabusová Helena,Kendice 155, Kendice
                  Harkabus Jozef,Kendice 354, Kendice
                  Harkabus Ladislav,Košická 99, Kendice
                  Harkabus Rudolf,Nižná 222, Kendice
                  Harkabus Anton,Lipovce 48, Lipovce
                  Harkabus Jozef,Chminianske Jakubovany 103
                  Harkabus Jozef,Valkovská 19, Solivar
                • jenna-m
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
                    Hi June. This is a real long-shot, but my mother's best friend growing up [in Reading, PA] was an "Anna KAlina." My mom's parents were from the Presov region as were, I think, many in their church community. It may be worth a phone call or letter to to the St. Cyril and Methodius parish in Reading to see if there is any connection with the names you are searching.

                    Good luck.
                    Jenna

[...]

                    ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
                    http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

                  • June McKee
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
                      Hi Jenna,

                      thanks for the info. I was doing some searching lastnight for Kolina and did find an Anna Kolina which came from Regete with two small children. seems she was going to meet up with her husband in Port chester ny. I need to find out who her husband was. I am finding alot of Kolinas which went to Pa and Chicago areas. My family was in Ny, well atleast all that I ever knew. I guess that doesnt mean that other relations to my grandfather went elsewhere.
                      So is this two churches that you are saying? St Cyril in Reading and Methodius Parish another?
                      I guess I would just ask if they have any families with the Kolina name still in the parish?

                      thanks for the long-shot, you never know! My surname is not all that common so it could be a really good chance of connections. Do you know if any of the family is still living?

                      June

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
                        June:

                        Sts. Cyril and Methodius is "one" [Roman Catholic] parish.451 South 6th Street in Reading, PA. [phone 610-373-0627].My grandfather helped raised funds to build the church as I guess many immigrants did in trying to "reconstruct" and continue parts of their [old] world as something to hold on to in times of great change in a new and foreign environment.

                        My mother is [now] 92...her friend that she went to elementary and junior level school was about the same age. She was maid of honor at her wedding. Think they must've been about the same age. Anna Kalina never married...and became a caretaker for her aging mother. She did, however, have a couple of brothers.
                        Haven't lived in the Reading area for many many years...so don't know alot more.

                        If you make plans to visit the Presov region, let me know if you'd like a travelling buddy [smile].
                        Best,