Re: [S-R] Zemplin - an overview

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
      June,
      I found your ancestral villages on my road atlas. Ondrasovce is 14km/8.5miles due west out Presov off of highway 18. Teriakovce is in the opposite direction, 1.5km/1mile due east of Presov.
      Using the Slovak Statistical website this is what I found on the villages.
      Ondrasovce
      Population in '05: 64, 100% Slovak and 92% Roman Catholic.
      Postal Code: 082 33
      Telephone Code. 051
      Birth register office: Chminianska Nova Ves
      Teriakovce
      Population in '05: 403, 99.74 Slovak, 95.58% Roman Catholic
      Postal Code: 080 05
      Telephone Code: 051
      Birth register office: Presov
      The atlas shows that Ondrasovce has two churches and Teriakovce one.
      Ondrasovce's Roman Catholic Church is St. Elizabeth, Telephone: (051) 779-5191. Registered surnames living there are: Bednar, Estocin, Kapl'avka, Leskova, Repka, Tartal and Vasko.
      Teriakovce surnames:
      Angelovicová Beblár Bobáková Duplinský Duzdová Dzurková Fabiánová Gavrun Golec Grejtáková Hamara
      Hulová Chovancová Chovanec Chovanec Chovanec Ivanková Jurasek Juraseková Kazimír Kazimírová Kleinova
      Kovalová Lesso Lyga Macala Marcinko Marcinková Nachaj Pyrz Sabolová Sirotnák Stopko Stopková Salacha
      Sefcíková Sima Smelovský Soltes Tkácik Vrabel
      Are your surnames among those listed?
      I am planning to go back to Slovakia next July. Time permitting I could drop by your villages.
      Michael

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
        All of that information thanks! I guess I just havent been looking in the right places. I had the distance down but nothing else. Doesnt look like any of my surnames are in there. My surnames are, "Teriakovce" Kolina. "Ondrasovce" Harkabusz. "Presov" Kolina. these are my fathers side, His father and grandparents.

        On my fathers mothers side I am still awaiting from Homeland Security on her Immigration papers. I put in for the fourth time and hopefully it will be right this time. This has been a six year project on my grandmothers side. Its been almost a year now since I sent off and they told me that they did find information but now just waiting the process. I think she came from Munkacs but have never confirmed that for sure.

        My personal e-mail is Junemckee@....

        Thanks again,

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
          Hi June:

          Did your ancestors come through Ellis Island? If so, it is possible to
          search the Ellis Island database. I recommend the one-stop Ellis Island search
          engine at _www.stevemorse.org_ (http://www.stevemorse.org) . I did see at
          least one KOLINA from the PRESOV (EPERJES) area, as well as HARKABUSZ. One of
          the tricks to searching is to use less letter such as HARKAB* so as to yield
          more potential results and then narrow it down. It often catches the variants
          in spellings. Also, it is also recommended to search phonetically as there
          can be other variants in spelling. What are the full names of your ancestors
          who came through Ellis Island? I would be happy to look in the Ellis Island
          database to see if I can find them. The important thing is to get the
          correct village of origin, otherwise, you may be find someone with a similar first
          name and surname but be off on a wild goose chase. One thing to keep in
          mind is that the village of origin may also be the last place of residence where
          your ancestors lived, and not where they were born or got married. When I
          initially started researching my paternal grandparents, I looked in the
          records of SPISSKE VLACHY (SZEPES OLASZI) and struck out, even though I had been
          told and several Ellis Island records confirmed that my grandparents and my
          aunt MARIA BALOGA had lived there. After I struck out, I checked with my
          parents and my mother looked through some old papers that she had and found a copy
          of my aunt's baptismal certificate. My aunt had been born in SPISSKE VLACHY
          but at a later time frame than the records available for searching, and on
          her baptismal certificate, it indicated my grandparents places of origin -- my
          grandfather had been from HRISOVCE (HRISSOC) a nearby village, but my
          grandmother had been SMOKOVCE (a variant of STARY SMOKOVEC). I was able to
          ultimately track the records down and obtained a watershed of information. I would
          recommend that you double check old photographs, records, letters, bibles,
          etc. for clues and to ask other relatives again what they remembered.
          Sometimes, all it takes is one good clue.

          Best regards,

          David

        • June McKee
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
            Hi David,

            Actually I did find my grandfather Jozsef Kolina on Ellis Island but it was mispelled as Kulina. I am pretty sure that this one is my grandfather because the year of immg of 1902 is the year he used on the 1910 census. Also Eferics as it is on the EI looks to me to just me mispelled for Epjeres. He was a butcher and occupation is also looks to be a butcher on the EI.
            In 1900 there is a Kalman Kolina and I believe that one is his brother Colomus. I am trying at this time to track down his brother Kalman hoping that there will be family there but cant seem to find him on any census. I do know that he was living in Ny at the time my father was small in the 1920's. After that I dont know and dont know if he ever had any children. Ido know that he was married as my father told me that much. Unfortunatly there is no family that has any information on my fathers side that I can talk to anymore. None of my cousins, and there are many in Ny are not into caring or helping me with the research. I have tried prying information out of them and get no help at all. I wish I would have asked even more question when my dad was still alive. I did get quite abit from him so that was good. There are no pictures of anyone beyond my dad except one or two of his parents and sibblings that I have. I do have a cousin that I found out has my grandmothers bible and she was going go look at it and see if there was any information in it for me but that has been over a year of trying to get her to do that. I am not close at all with this cousin and I call her every once in awhile to remind her but I am starting to feel like she is avoiding me. Maybe one of these days she will look at the bible for me. Humm time to drop her a line I guess.
            I havent looked at all on EI for Harkabusz. It was my g-gm maiden name and I didnt really even think to look for that one because I dont think that anyone immig. Well guess that you never know. I know for sure that my g-grandparents did not immg. and dont know yet the names of their sibblings to know if any of them did come over.

            Thanks for taking a look at EI and I will take a look at the Harkabusz too. Oh yes What was the Kolina that you seen?

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
              Hi June:

              I saw both KALMAN KOLINA and JANOS KOLINA from EPERJES. If you track down
              the records for both of them, you will see that they both arrived in the U.S.
              on January 18, 1900, but appear to be on separate manifests. JANOS KOLINA
              appears to have traveled with FERENC HORNYAK as both of their records indicate
              that they were from EPERJES, and both were going to N.Y. JANOS KOLINA was
              going to stay with an uncle, and FERENC HORNYAK was going to stay with a
              cousin. Whether they were just friends or related is an interesting question.
              KALMAN KOLINA was going to stay with a cousin in N.Y. It may have been (very
              probable) the same person who was the uncle of JANOS KOLINA.

              The place to start digging in Slovakia would definitely be PRESOV (EPERJES).
              With at least two names, KALMAN KOLINA and JANOS KOLINA and their
              respective years of birth list in the Ellis Island records (circa 1869 and 1882).
              This information will also help you to confirm and corroborate any information
              that you find in the church records.

              I would also keep a look out for any references to the village of KISSZEBEN
              (SABINOV), as there was an ANDRAS KOLINA who immigrated to the U.S. in 1906.
              It is a village outside of PRESOV (EPERJES) and north of VELKY SARIS along
              the TORYSA river.
              When I was searching for my grandfather's record and having a hard time
              finding it, I did a survey of the Ellis Island records (102 for BALOGA) and
              tracked down all of them, and looked for the current name of each of the villages.
              Ultimately, when I did find his record under a different spelling, and then
              found his village of origin, I found that when I looked back to the Ellis
              Island survey that I did, most of his relatives were in a cluster of village in
              the SPIS and SARIS region (the SARIS highlands to BRANISKO mountain).

              I hope this helps a little.

              Best regards,

              David

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
                Hi again June:

                If you take a look for HARKABUSZ in the Ellis Island database, you will find
                an ANDRAS HARKABUSZ from NAGY SAROS, and a JOSZEF HARKABUSZ from EPERJES
                (spelled EPEYES), which as you know is now know as PRESOV. I would keep this
                information in the back of your mind while you do your primary research, and if
                you find that there is additional information which corroborates the
                records, then you can it down at the appropriate time.

                Best regards,

                David

              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
                  >>> I havent looked at all on EI for Harkabusz.<<<

                  Type Harkab into the Morse front end for EI and you find 38 listings.
                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
                    >>> I havent looked at all on EI for Harkabusz. <<<

                    Here are the phone listings in area code 051.

                    Harkabusová Terézia,T.Ševc'enka 2, Prešov
                    Harkabusová Helena,Kendice 155, Kendice
                    Harkabus Jozef,Kendice 354, Kendice
                    Harkabus Ladislav,Košická 99, Kendice
                    Harkabus Rudolf,Nižná 222, Kendice
                    Harkabus Anton,Lipovce 48, Lipovce
                    Harkabus Jozef,Chminianske Jakubovany 103
                    Harkabus Jozef,Valkovská 19, Solivar
                  • jenna-m
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
                      Hi June. This is a real long-shot, but my mother's best friend growing up [in Reading, PA] was an "Anna KAlina." My mom's parents were from the Presov region as were, I think, many in their church community. It may be worth a phone call or letter to to the St. Cyril and Methodius parish in Reading to see if there is any connection with the names you are searching.

                      Good luck.
                      Jenna

[...]

                      ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
                      http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

                    • June McKee
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
                        Hi Jenna,

                        thanks for the info. I was doing some searching lastnight for Kolina and did find an Anna Kolina which came from Regete with two small children. seems she was going to meet up with her husband in Port chester ny. I need to find out who her husband was. I am finding alot of Kolinas which went to Pa and Chicago areas. My family was in Ny, well atleast all that I ever knew. I guess that doesnt mean that other relations to my grandfather went elsewhere.
                        So is this two churches that you are saying? St Cyril in Reading and Methodius Parish another?
                        I guess I would just ask if they have any families with the Kolina name still in the parish?

                        thanks for the long-shot, you never know! My surname is not all that common so it could be a really good chance of connections. Do you know if any of the family is still living?

                        June

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
                          June:

                          Sts. Cyril and Methodius is "one" [Roman Catholic] parish.451 South 6th Street in Reading, PA. [phone 610-373-0627].My grandfather helped raised funds to build the church as I guess many immigrants did in trying to "reconstruct" and continue parts of their [old] world as something to hold on to in times of great change in a new and foreign environment.

                          My mother is [now] 92...her friend that she went to elementary and junior level school was about the same age. She was maid of honor at her wedding. Think they must've been about the same age. Anna Kalina never married...and became a caretaker for her aging mother. She did, however, have a couple of brothers.
                          Haven't lived in the Reading area for many many years...so don't know alot more.

                          If you make plans to visit the Presov region, let me know if you'd like a travelling buddy [smile].
                          Best,