Surname and Place Name Posting Tips

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2007
      A time-honored protocol in genealogy research, which seems to be getting
      lost these days is how to create a title when posting a message about a
      family surname, a village/geographic region name.

      Using capital letters for the surname and/or the place name is simple but
      very, very helpful method and will solicit more responses than a general
      heading like "Researching my family" or "location in Slovakia." We all are
      very busy these days. If I see a name or place I know something about, I'm
      much more apt to open that message first and respond.

      Here are some suggestions for titles that can speed your search and help
      others:

      "Surnames SAMKO and SABOL"

      "Anyone researching village of SABINOV?"

      "Family Tree DZUBA"

      "Great reference about ZEMPLIN"

      "Location of village "ZBOROV, ZBORO, ZBUJ"

      "Village that sounds like "ZEMPLINSKA UBU"

      (the above are all invented queries, intended to be illustrative only."

      Bill