On Line Genealogical Research Tool

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2007
      I ran into a site I thought was great.

      So good I made it a Google referral at www.iarelative.com

      Upper right of the page.

      You can build a family tree on line.

      After playing with it for a couple hours I can see a potential.........

      Take a family tree branch you don't know much about.

      e.g. My Aunt's son

      Start the tree.

      Invite other family members to add to it.

      Add the information to your database and update the site.

      The site accepts GEDCOM export/import so you don't even need to type.

      A hang up is that each GEDCOM export you send overwrites the site with
      current information you send.

      You need to sync the database at the site with your database before you
      update. An advantage is that you control the site and information.

      Seems like an idea waiting to happen.

      Keep in mind that FREE sites tend to disappear on the internet so you do
      need to make sure you keep a local copy available to you on a regular basis.

      In starting go with Braches rather than trees.

      Sign up and have fun.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative