Re: [S-R] bobbin lace in Slovakia

  • Regina Haring
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3 5:45 AM
      Dear David -

      Thank you for writing and for pointing me to the Andrew Rabatin website. Yes, my grandfather Andrej Rabatin was from Spis - the town was Secovska Polianka. It was my maternal grandparents who ended up in the coal mining region of eastern PA, but the paternal grandparents were in Haverstraw, Rockland County, NY where there were numerous Slovaks, mostly from Sec. Polianka, working in the very large brickmaking industry. My father was Andrew Edward Rabatin as was my late brother.

      Rabatin is not an uncommon name, and I have been told that it does not sound like a Slovak name, but rather a Rusyn. This is not a term I ever heard used by my father's family. My grandfather died before I was born, but I do know that my grandmother had been Greek Catholic in the old country, but of necessity joined the Slovak Roman Catholic church in Haverstraw. The only other clue I have is that my baba Rabatin had mentioned the term "white Russian". I have no idea whether she was talking about Belorus or whether it was a political reference.

      The Rabatins tend to be dark haired and dark complexioned, with the women being on the short side (men were average height) while my maternal relatives from Saris are taller and fairer, with some being blonde at least as children.

      I do have my Rabatin grandfather's naturalization papers which have a lot of information.

      Regina Rabatin Haring
      http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com