RE: [S-R] Re: Survey of FHL Slovakia Church Records

    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 2, 2007
      Hi David,
      Thank you for your note. It is exceptional now days that people take the
      time to say "thanks" especially amoung the younger crowd. Your sentiments
      are truly appreciated. I am only glad that it's helped. (I'm absolutely
      swamped, so message delays like this have become ordinary for me.

      Funny, I'm actually Rusyn bloodlined, I have no Slovak in me. That said,
      our research is so interrelated that we MUST collaborate with each other.
      That seems to be a fact lost on many young researchers.

      I do hope you will consider adding to the small amount of published research
      material. Even something as simple as a success story to inspire others.

      By the way, I work in the computer industry, and worked in a sector related
      to backups for several years. Yes, I practice what I preach. Both
      professionally and personally, I have experienced many disk crashes. I only
      lost data once - the first time it happened 25 years ago. Problem is, I now
      have so many backups, including in a safe deposit box, it's now difficult to
      tell what is the most up-to-date one. It's not necessarily the one with the
      latest date! Genealogy software doesn't have a "versioning" feature,
      whereby your changes are logged and can be un-done if necessary. Investing
      in a software package that does it automatically for you solves most of the
      drudgery of it.

      Regards,
      Bill

      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 3, 2007
        David is correct. The term was used both ways, which sometimes makes it
        confusing.