[S-R] Re: Proposal for a new Group

  • knittingmama48
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2007
      There is one more thing I would like to say about 'proper'
      genealogical research...sometimes the old country words contained from
      RECIPES,(what certain regional dishes were called and ingredients used
      our family used what was local) what our grandparents called certain
      types of dress, how they referred to themselves....and even what their
      political/religious beliefs were, what professional mining
      organizations ( I have a 'Catholic-Slovak mining card from a great
      uncle in my possession which was a political union) they belonged to,
      all are CLUES to what regions/where families originated from...THIS IS
      GENEALOGY. And in case word origins is not thought of as a 'hard'
      discipline it's called etymology! It helped me crack some of my own
      questions about name origins.....and for those of us with relatives on
      the Poland/Slovak border what 'Grandma' called those ethnic dishes she
      cooked is VITAL to the families true ethnic origins....