surnames

  • Deb Blabolil
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 1999
      Hello- well it has been a busy summer for me but here are some other
      surnames I may need to find to help with my original family tree.

      I am actually searching for BLABOLIL
      but women that had maiden names who married into the family are:
      Any relations to these people would be great.

      WALDHAUSER, Rudolph, Marie, Ann
      SVOBODA (Olga), parents Anton Svoboda and Emilie Tasovac
      WELLS (Elizabeth) parents Rosalie Fencel and Casper Wells
      HICKS (Julia Blabolil Hicks, Victor Hicks)
      POTTS (Annie) - Italy
      KRAJICEK
      MRS. WEINER_ a family in NY, NY that Frances BLABOLIL worked for at 10 E 85
      N- NY, NY
      BLABOLIL, (Frances) parents Anna Pavlik and Jan Blabolil
      RUZICKA, (Frances) parents Frantisek Blabolil and mom Stedronsky

      Most are from New York and New Jersey and originally from Czech or Austria
      Hungry- Bohemia

      I have the SS5, some census and have ordered things from the NJ, NY area
      and microfilm from LDS, my FHC is very small and they will be getting me a
      soundex for NJ which may lead to my NJ census information I need. I tried
      the FamilySearch.org and the name is not listed a misspelling of one was
      possibly found so I ordered it.

      Thank you

      Deb Blabolil
      Office of Annual Giving
      Case Western Reserve University
      10900 Euclid Avenue, Baker 206
      Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7036
      phone: (216)-368-4980 or (216)-368-6233
      1-800-304-4483
      Fax: (216)-368-6926
      e-mail: dlb14@...
    • PopeBela@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi,
        I'm new to this list..I'm researching family from the former Austro-Hungarian
        Empire where my ancestors lived in what is now, Gelnica.
        ( Golnitz / Golnicz / Golniczbanya)

        I'm researching the names :

        HLAFKA
        KACSUR
        BURCSAK
        POLANOFSKY
        HEINRICH

        as of the moment....if anyone else is reseaching these please drop me an
        email!
        Thanks

        Chris

      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., PopeBela@A... wrote:
          > Hi,
          > I'm new to this list..I'm researching family from the former
          Austro-Hungarian
          > Empire where my ancestors lived in what is now, Gelnica.
          > ( Golnitz / Golnicz / Golniczbanya)
          >
          > I'm researching the names :
          >
          > HLAFKA
          > KACSUR
          > BURCSAK
          > POLANOFSKY
          > HEINRICH
          >
          > as of the moment....if anyone else is reseaching these please drop
          me an
          > email!
          > Thanks
          >
          > Chris

          Don't know you surnames.
          Expect the first 3 surnames were misspelled.
          Are they pre-emigration or post-emigration spellings ?
          Polanofsky is Slovak equivalent of Polish surname Polanowski.
          The devoiced letter w became a f in error.

          Heinrich is a German surname.

          Gelnica (Sv) Gölnicbánya (H) Gollnitz (G) is in okres (district)
          Spis^ská Nová Ves and is located 180 miles ENE of Bratislava.

          Interesting region.
          Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
          Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
          centuries.

          Not all people in East Central Europe who later spoke German
          owed their heritage to German settlers. Many were descendants of
          Germanized Slavs and in some cases Magyars whose ancestors had
          intermarried with neighbors of Germanic origin.

          The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records (1695-1888)
          for Gelnica, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia; formerly known as Göniczbánya,
          Szepes Megye (county), Hungary.
          Text in Latin with some Hungarian and Slovak.
          film #s
          1739084-1739088

          The LDS-Mormons also filmed the Lutheran parish church records
          (1783-1896)for Gelnica.

          In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

          Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

          In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
          Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
          Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
          Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

          Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

          LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

        • monica wentworth
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
            Looking for Ross, Verdnak or maybe Yorbak-somewhere in the austro-hungarian
            empire-would be late 1800s

          • monica wentworth
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
              Does this list support most of the Ukraine/poland/romania or should I
              perhaps look for other lists?

            • Malý
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 18, 2004
                Does anyone know anything about the surnames Škapík, Sladicek, Timko,
                or Pipa? Any help would be appreciated.
              • Frank
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Malý <musiced_2003@y...> wrote:
                  > Does anyone know anything about the surnames Škapík, Sladicek, Timko,
                  > or Pipa? Any help would be appreciated.

                  poslucha'c^ka ?

                  Depends upon what kind of help you want ?

                  S^kapik could be from Senica region of western Slovakia, Austria, or Morav=
                  ia, or Hungary.

                  Sladicek can be a Czech-Bohemian surname, or a Croatian surname from Bac^ka=
                  (Cr)

                  Timko- hundreds and hundreds of surname bearers from Hungary, Slovakia, and=

                  Czechoslovakia.

                  Surname Pipa can be from Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, Belarus, and when a Sla=
                  vic
                  surname ends in a vowel (a,e,i,o) it can also be an Italian, Portuguese, or=
                  Spanish
                  surname.

                  You are using a Central European keyboard so expect you want Slovakia.
                  What are the first names of the surnames you want to research ?

                  Frank K