RE: [S-R] FHL Update, Summer 2007 - BIG NEWS

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2007
      Thanks Bill, great news!!
      Vladimir

      _____

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Bill Tarkulich
      Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:07 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] FHL Update, Summer 2007 - BIG NEWS

      I just received word back from the FHL Catalog E. European team
      regarding work accomplishments over the past 12 months (Aug 06 - July 07).

      BIG NEWS: FHL has signed an agreement to begin filming the Czech
      Republic Archives records! As the cataloguer wrote me, "Incredible!
      I never thought I'd see the day!"

      OH-WELL News - Very few new Slovakia films.

      Details:

      Czech Republic
      1. In Třeboň, we've signed agreements to microfilm all the church
      records.
      2. Also, the 1921 census and the seignorial records, all of which are
      in incredible boon to research.
      3. In Litoměřice and Opava, we've signed agreements to film the
      church
      records.
      4. We're filming them digitally, which should be great, but we don't
      yet have the framework set in place to look at digital images in our
      new system. That should hopefully be getting up and running by around
      the end of the year, but still not a hundred percent sure.
      (This suggests it still could be a couple years out before you have
      images available, since they then have to put an external framework
      together for people like you and me to view them.)

      Slovakia
      1. We're finished cataloging Nitra.
      2. Banska Bystrica is needing to be finished. It's about 60%
      finished, as far as I remember. (nothing new released)
      3. Also, Bratislava has now been almost totally filmed. We are down
      through the T's, alphabetically, so we're getting close to the end.
      (nothing new released)
      4. Very few new films have been released. There are many record
      changes, but most are typos and small adjustment to text.
      5. I have the last 12 months of updates. It will take me a week or so
      to format them into something more useable. If you want to know about
      a particular village, drop me a note.

      Other Priorities
      Hungary and Armenia, and Georgia are getting a lot of attention right
      now and have diverted resources away from Slovakia.