Re: [S-R] Re: Visiting Slovakia and Cost of clothing

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2007
      Linda,

      Two questions.

      What year did you visit? Due to the weak US dollar - SK Crown, prices (as
      viewed by Americans in dollars) have nearly doubled in 4 years. So a $30
      purchase is now about US$60.

      Second, "the cost is higher" but relative to whom? A Slovakia or American
      buyer?

      Bill

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2007
        Linda -- funny you should mention that. My cousin
        needed (in my opinion) a bandaid the other day. I
        asked her if she'd like one and she didn't know what
        it was. I did a little sign language and she still
        didn't know.

        When I showed her by putting one on myself -- she said
        OH NOooooooooo, as if it would interfere with the
        healing.

        Caye

        --- Linda Hartlaub <ljhartlaub@...> wrote:

        > Paul,
        >
        > You mentioned that the cost of clothing is higher in
        > Slovakia than in the
        > US. When my daughter and I visited, we found quite
        > the opposite.
        > Because she is so tall and slender (like so manyof
        > the young Slovak
        > girls), she finds it difficult to find clothes that
        > fit her body here.
        > She was delighted that the clothes there, even in
        > the smallest shops, fit
        > her perfectly. Not only that, but jeans that would
        > cost $80 or $90 here
        > in the US were equivalent $27 - $30. Dresses and
        > tops, too, were about
        > 1/3 of the price for the clothes here that don't fit
        > anywhere near as
        > well. Needless to say, she went crazy in the shops.
        > Vienna was a little
        > pricier but still a bargain. And, quite frankly, no
        > one outside of
        > Ireland charged us a value added tax. My surprise
        > was trying to find
        > band-aids. I had to go to the pharmacy for those
        > and had to buy them
        > individually! I figured if I knew families with
        > small children, a good
        > thing to send would be boxes of band-aids!
        >
        > Linda
        >
        > --
        > We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com!
        > Get a FREE E-mail Account Today - Choose From 100+
        > Domains

        > removed]

        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
      • Linda Hartlaub
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2007
          Bill,
          We went in 2005. I just checked the exchange rates, and they were almost
          the same when we went as they are now. And I can't even begin to fathom
          how the Slovaks eke out a living and manage to purchase more than
          necessities. Talking with friends, I am dumbfounded that they are able
          to live on the meager wages they are paid relative to our standard of
          living. I was simply pointing out that in my opinion, purchsing clothing
          and other gifts was a steal. I know from Slovaks who work here but
          maintain their residence in Slovakia, the first year they were here was a
          huge adjustment for cost of living. Of course, they are earning much,
          much more than they would ever get paid there. And for those wondering,
          yes everything is legal and they have the government's ok to work here.

          Linda

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com

          --
          We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com!

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2007
            Hi Caye,
            Your cousin would probably be horrified by the amount of antibiotics and
            over the counter drugs we take. My father had a cure for everything. He used
            Vicks Vaporub, fresh air, hot or cold water bottles, mustard plaster,
            Aspergum(remember that?) or a stiff drink. If that didn't cure it, you were a
            goner.
            Noreen