Re: [S-R] Re: Cousins Visiting US Shelves

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2007
      Hey Paul, thanks for the post. My cousin is here on a
      Student Visa -- specifically for work -- summer only.
      She's got a SSN too.

      She'll go back, but she does love it enough here to
      actually think about a permanent deal down the road --
      we'll see if that happens.

      Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
    • maureen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2007
        I have traveled to Slovakia twice. Both times we entered by car - no questions about health insurance. The second visit in 2003 presented a medical issue - not for insurance, but for the need of medical treatment. My daughter and I were in Kosice, scheduled to fly out the next morning at or before the crack of dawn. The night before we were to leave my daughter became extremely ill, with uncontrollable, non-stop vomiting.

        In the middle of the night I went to the desk at the Slovan (a wonderful hotel - at least as of 2003) and asked for help. They called Czech Air and got our flights rescheduled for the following day and by 8:00 am the bellman was at the door to walk us - carry my daughter, if necessary - around the corner to a doctor's office.

        Without a word of common language spoken between us, the doctor thoroughly assessed her condition, gave her an injection and a prescription. The entire cost was something less than $10 USD - and the word "insurance" was never uttered!

        When we left the exam room, the bellman was waiting for us and escorted my daughter back to our room, while I went to the pharmacy for the script. Throughout the day and evening, the Slovan staff checked on us, sending tea and soup and water.

        These were somewhat exceptional circumstances - but, the helpfulness and concern of all the Slovaks in this instance was no exception.

        If you have never done so, visit Slovakia; if you have gone before, go back. I eagerly look forward to my next visit.

        Maureen Mckovich Pulignano

      • Jan Ammann
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2007
          Hello maureen ....

          Thank you for that wonderful story. It just goes to show that "most people are kind and helpful everywhere" when there is illness or some type of distress.

          Thanks again for sharing..................