Re: [S-R] Village Surnames

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2007
      This is so very interesting. Expecting to find evidence of my KLADZAN
      ancestors in the village of Kladzany, Slovakia, I found them not in Kladzany, but
      in the village of Vinne, previously known as Vinna Banka. That find was
      fascinating in itself, as it was previously thought that the ancestors were from
      the city of Vienna (the spelling is so close and old records often so smudgy).
      But now, who's to say that an earlier generation might have been from
      Kladzany, taken the "village" surname there, and later moved on to Vinne. The
      source of all the above? The LDS microfilmed records of the Church of St. Ann,
      Vinne, Slovakia and the village of Kladzany.

      Eugene Klodzen

      In a message dated 7/4/2007 11:03:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      mgmojher@... writes:

      I have just returned from a month in Slovakia.
      While there, at the request of a Slovak-Roots member, I went to the village
      of Kamenica to try and discover some information on a grandmother who had
      immigrated from there.
      While doing interviews I found out that a "village surname" was used by the
      people living there. This "village surname" was used instead of their real
      surname.
      The grandmother I had gone to investigate had used the "village surname" in
      America. I was told that often emigrants from this village would use the
      "village surname" instead of their real one when they went to America.
      I talked with people who had the "village surname". Two of them told me what
      their real surname was. They admitted that very few people in the village
      knew their real surname. They admitted that if someone came to the village
      looking for them by their real surname they would more than likely be told no one
      by that name lives here.
      This obviously make for a very difficult situation for anyone trying to
      search for relatives of the true surname.
      From my previous trip a fairly long thread was done on my discovery of "DO"
      names used in Slovakia on Slovak-Roots a couple of months back.
      Now I have a new predicament for us; "village surnames". Has anyone during
      their searches come up against such a thing? Does anyone know common a
      practice it is? Is it possible to identify a "village surname" with a particular
      village?
      The ramifications are important if this was a common practice. It may mean
      that the surname many of us identify with is not our families true surname. It
      makes doing our genealogy much more difficult; because the "village surname"
      could have been used by any family in the village. We think we are finding
      relatives, when in fact they have no relationship to us what so ever.
      I hope our professionals in Slovakia can shed some light on this subject.
      Michael Mojher