RE: [S-R] BIRTH and ILLEGITIMACY

  • Robert Shive
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4 3:18 PM
      Hi Janet --

      This thread was extremely interesting. My grandmother was born illegitimately in Also (now Nyzna) Mislye near the end of the 1800's. I can't speak to how her (unmarried) mother was treated by the village, but she did leave for the US a little more than a year after the birth. She then got married in the US and had four daughters, who my generation of children always called aunts.

      On the other side of the family, my g-grandfather had an illegitimate brother, born to his widowed mother about a year after her husband died. This brother appeared to have no social baggage and grew up to manhood in his native village.

      So I guess that even in this rather select grouping there were gradations of social acceptability.

      Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...> wrote:
      I'm glad you found the information interesting and helpful. It was Vladimir
      who did the counting. All of the information was Vladimir's except for the
      final paragraph. I should have used quotation marks to make that clear.

      Janet

      _____