Re: [S-R] 1715 Hungarian Urbarial Census and Successor Archives

  • bhewlett@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 62 , Jul 4 8:26 AM
      The 1715 census is written in Latin. The first column is "first and last name of person". 2nd column is the column for occupation. On my 5th ggrandfathers page it had "cloggers, shoemakers and tanners". I only looked at a couple other pages, but saw different occupations listed. 3rd column is amount of land owned. 3 'holds" for example, would be around 3 acres (so I was told). 4th column relates to "land that was usually "won" by cutting trees and cultivating, usually on a hill." You did the work, you got the land I guess. The 5th column asks how many fields are plowed but not seeded. The last column relates to how much of the property is a vineyard.

      Although this was written in Latin, which should make it fairly easy to translate, it turned out to be difficult. A kind man in France, worked on it stating that some of the words seem to be abbreviations and that's where he had problems. Nevertheless, I think this is a good indication of the column headings.
      Joyce

    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
      Message 62 of 62 , Jul 31 6:40 AM
        You have to be careulf with readin place names.
        In marriage records, if there are two place names, the first is place of
        origin and the second is place of current residence.
        Since there is no place like Zboro Lofalu ( Lo falu does not exist anyway)
        it is likely, that Zborov was place of birth and Maybe Uj falu was place of
        residence.
        Did this pertain to the broom?
        If this record is from Bardejov, then it was Bardejovska Nova Ves , but the
        broom was born in Zborov.
        Vladimir

        _____