RE: [S-R] Jewish Gen

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2007
      There is much European material available, much of it is written in other
      languages. Really, only a small set of knowledge has been written in
      English. Thus the challenge, if you are up to it and serious about it, to
      translate/read books, websites, etc. written in other countries. This is
      why mastery of a foreign language is so essential if you are doing graduate
      work in history.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2007
        Yes, I have already discovered I am at a great handicap by researching without being able to speak/read Hungarian/Czech, etc. Particularly true with Vizsla dog pedigrees. Names of owners suddenly become part of dog name because transcribers mistakenly copy incorrect names. Then...."Champion" means Gyoztes and for awhile I thought that word was a kennel name. Without help from a knowledgeable translator, I would have made many more mistakes than I have. God help those dog breeders who live with a translated "Breed Standard" originating from a foreign country. Our breed Standard has had several discrepancies, printed and had breeders mistakenly bred for an incorrect color, that later becomes mainstream and more accepted. ;-((

        Diana